+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Maple nuts for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post

I had told people I would do Christmas baskets with Syrup/nuts but I am now sold out of syrup, and can't fulfill those request. I was contemplating buying syrup, but would have to raise my prices and I am Leary of doing that. I saved enough syrup to take care of family.

Happy Holidays
    You never want to run out of syrup even if you have to buy it. Once someone starts buying from you and you are out they will not be back 90% of the time. Always Always have syrup. You should have a dealer that will sell it to you at a little above wholesale and you will still break even. Those customers are your bread and butter always have a product for them (tell them you will bottle some up over the weekend if you don't have any on hand and get some to them on Monday morning).

I stopped at Wolly world today for a battery, and walked by the nuts...... grabbed a bag and came home and made these. AWESOME. Now I have to buy more nuts.
    Thad

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    That is one of the best demonstration post I have ever read, you nailed it.
    Thanks! I'm so glad people are finding it useful. Once I figure out how to make some of the different types of candy (haven't tried yet), I'm hoping to make some more posts.

Interesting point about the second pan - any particular reason? Is it just about cooling faster, as you wrote? I suppose that makes sense - get the syrup out of the hot pan.

I'm just a backyard producer, so these are just for gifts. But man, they went quick at the office!

~DK

Wow!! I made 1 pound of almonds with 8 oz. of syrup and I have two boy and a wife that can't eat them fast enough.
    Thanks for sharing the great receipe. This is a great snack while we put out all the Christmas decor.
    Kevin Kraft
    2x8 Lapierre evaporator
    Coster R.O. with two 4" membranes
    16x16 Syrup shack named "The Man Cave"
    2 boys full of maple syrup sugar
    A collie dog named Sam!!
    1 wife that needs to get addicted to maple

Never made these yet but after reading this post my mouth is salvitating need to get some almonds and peacans
    Nice pictures
    uncle bucks sugar house since 1996
    2x6 leader american drop flue
    air tight front with blower, uv light
    230 buckets 2010 stainless smoke stack
    and steamaway new 2011 175 taps on gravity

I made a batch today with hole walnuts very easy to do. My wife & boys enjoyed them they are gone need to make some more.

I made a batch each of peanuts and almonds.

The peanuts were salted in shell so the peanuts ended up haveing some salt on them by the time I had them shelled.
    The almonds on the other hand were roasted but unslated.

After maple coating them I should have added some salt to the almonds!!

And the biggest lesson I learned is that you can't save enough to make peanuts in the shell worth the hassle!
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

I just tried a batch of almonds, and boy are they GREAT! My family has a thing for "salty and sweet". I used the two pan method for two reasons. I needed a tall thinner pan to boil only 2 cups of syrup (I did a double batch) but stirring the final thick mixture in a tall thin pot is not as easy as a low wide pot plus it cools faster with more cool surface area. So I just put the almonds in the second wide pan and poured the syrup on. Just before it was at temp, I sprinkled a little corse sea salt on the almonds, came out really nice. Thanks for sharing this!
    Last edited by MapleME; 12-12-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    MapleME
    Brunswick, Maine
    2x5.5 Lapierre Raised Flue, AUF
    150 taps on gravity line
    2011 John Deere Gator XUV, gonna be a great hauler
    Wood Wolf Splitter
    One VERY understanding wife

Just made some using a 1/2 gallon of Grade B and 2 pounds of walnuts, 1 pound of pecans and 1 pound of almonds. Awesome
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Mathprofdk -

Care to share where you picked up that thermometer ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast