+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Maple nuts for beginners

I just wanted to thank everyone who participated in this thread. Just made a batch of maple almonds, and WOW are they good. And so easy! These will make great little gift bags.

Thanks again!
    2016: First year. Homemade evaporator out of little woodburning stove with steam tray pans. 6 taps on buckets. 1.1 galls syrup
    2017: Same little homemade evaporator, but souped up. 15 taps - all on buckets

Much appreciated replies. Thanks.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 200 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press

Great thread.. saw it yesterday and had to make up some maple cashews today. Love the aroma as the maple syrup is approaching the 240 mark.

Yeah, it's a great way to get that special maple smell back in the house in the off season. I'll add a tip for anyone who is making a variety of nuts. I make my first batch with a hard nut like an almond, then I'll make the meatier/softer nuts. The first batch takes a little longer to crystalize and the nuts take a bit of a beating. After that, the mixing bowl seems to be primed and the taffy crystalizes faster, so it takes less stirring, so the nuts don't break up as much. I've found when I start with a pecan or walnut first, I ended up stirring longer and breaking more nuts into pieces.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Something north of 200 taps
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 125 RO
    6 hives of bees
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by DocsMapleSyrup View Post
    Can maple nuts be frozen? If left at room temperature, is there a shelf life to candied nuts? Will they mold in a platic bag? With Christmas coming up, I'm thinking about gifts but it would be nice if I could get those ready ahead of Christmas.
    Yes they can be frozen. I've frozen them and when I want some I just pull some out of the freezer and eat them right from the freezer. Don't have to defrost them.
    2011 - 6 buckets
    Stove Top
    2012 - 15 buckets
    2013 - 19 buckets
    Camper cook stove with 3 high propane burners
    Custom made 42x14x7 maple pan with dividers
    2015 - New 12x16 Sugar Shack
    2015 - New Lapierre Propane Evaporator
    2016 - 28 buckets
    2017 - 30 buckets

I made some last year, so delicious, but the nuts themselves seem to be expensive, so adding cost of making and the syrup, I wonder what a reasonable price point is for a small, say 4 oz jar.

Anybody have a good inexpensive source to buy them? Especially pecans or walnuts.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

BJs has the best prices in this area.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 125 RO
    6 hives of bees

Thank You SeanD.

Best I found today was $4.99 for an 8 oz bag of pecan halves at Ocean state job lot. They also had walnuts at $3.99/ lb. I bought a few to get me started anyway.

I have been rinsing my filters in preheat sap, then refiltering the sand out. The concentrate I have is not finished, but definitely darker, so I will use this for nuts.

I am going to try the red copper pan also, supposed to be tougher than Teflon, and the sugar sticks to regular.
    2014 Year 1, 1 large front yard shade tree with 3 taps - 3 quarts of the best syrup I ever had.
    2015 - Convince In-laws and Neighbors, bought F-150 and bricks. 20 taps, 4 gallons in pretty bottles.
    2016 -- More friends and neighbors, should add another 20 +, built temporary shelter as sugar shack. F150 traded for Ram 2500. Big Blue new barrels for 116 gal storage. 8 gallons Syrup.
    2017 - Mortared Brick Arch with serving pans, no make that an 18 x 48 CDL divided flat pan, 48 taps.

Try the nuts before you candy them. I bought some walnuts at OSJL a few years back and I had to spit them out they were so bad.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 125 RO
    6 hives of bees

I did not read the whole thread, ( way too long, and I am too lazy). after you mixed nuts in syrup, did you roll them in some kind of sugar. or is that the sugar from the syrup? thanks, and very nice pictorial

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast