+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Belchertown

2.75% at the feed tank, 31+ gals sap/1 gal syrup not too bad, drawing off a good amount tonight, had about 200 gals to boil off, better than yesterday, guess the low pressure system helped a bit, but still not the 300+ gallons I should be getting, buckets should run through the night. I'll still shut the vac off tonight so I don't keep the neighbors up, and also let it cool down since I run the ole milker at 19" steady! the fan running over it does help alot!!
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Lucky dog, I can't even average 1.75% down here on all sugars.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Brandon, I'm averaging 1.5 % on my sugar bush. I thinned it 3 yrs ago but it'll be another 3 yrs before I see any improvement.
    Ed K

400 taps

2x8 waterloo

steamhood preheater woodfired

TSI logger w/low impact equip

If Jim is boiling it means it is not far for me, giddyup!
    Scott W.
    2.5x8 Grimm raised flue
    Leader inferno arch 90 gph
    Vacuum, RO, Syrofilter
    1500 taps
    UV filter
    Can am 400 HO

Jim,

Of my 3 bushes, they don't need any thining. The trees are large and very well spaced with large crowns. My problem is just being so far south. The further south you go, the lower the sugar content. :?
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

get ready scott, the weather is a changing!!
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Hey Jim, Have you made any syrup yet?? I finally got the vacuum set up right.....20 lbs at the pump and 18 lbs at the farthest point. About 3000 ft.....I can get it up to about 23 lbs....I hope to have a big run this weekend....I have to work...Trying to get some time off sunday to boil.....If not ill be REAL busy monday and tuesday.... 8) 8) .......Take care.....Say Hi for me........Mike

Mike, I made 13 gallons of real light so far, 4 nights of boiling, tonight I gathered about 285 gallons, nice run, the sap must have run through the night, I will boil tomorrow morning, I was hoping for a good boil for customers :wink: I worked on cleaning the evap tonight, got her all back clean and shiny inside , put back the sap and partial syrup in their respective pans, all nice n filtered.. she's good for another week till the next cleaning. I'm going for friday night cleanups Hope your first boil goes well, I couldn't believe the 65 deg weather today and the same tomorrow, not sure how much sap wil run.. but by tuesday it will be back cold again
    Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Sitting here waiting for the canner to get to temp, have only about 3 hours or so of sap to boil, which will start soon
    Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

well after canning and boiling, figured I'll go and see if anything ran, sure did, got another 180 today, boiling it off for the second boil today, and why not, sitting in a good comfortable chair watching the nextel race.. it don't get much better than this.. oh wait, gotta go get a beer!!! :wink:
    Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast