+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sugaring in school

Default sugaring in school

hello everyone,
    I am a kindergarten-second grade teacher at an independent non-profit school in Glen Cove, near Rockland Maine. Last year my director asked if I would tap the trees with my class. I consulted friends and did a great amount of reading and dove in. Our drive way is lined with big old Sugar Maples, we put in about 20 taps. Since it was my first time, the supplies were very basic. Everyday, sometimes twice a day the kids and I would go out and empty the milk jugs into five gallon buckets, filter it with the chesse cloth a few times then pour it into a lobster pot. In the parking lot I set up three propane burners...we only had one burning incident. In the end we made about six gallons of syrup. This year my director and I would like to make this school wide and do it right. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has a small evaporator that they would like to sell or donate. This is a great way to educate children, I would like for them to be more involved with the boiling process and using propane burners is not the safest way to achieve this. There are also a lot more trees on the campus so we are hoping to have a bunch more taps. I am open to suggestions and input from folks have been doing this longer than I have. My class just asked my yesterday if it was time to tap trees yet....they are excited and eager to begin this process again. I hope to have everything we need by then. The middle School math class is currently drawing up blue-prints for our sugar house.
    Thanks

Hello, I have nothing to donate but well wishes! Way to go! I also work in a pre-k through 12 school in NW WI and would LOVE to see this brought to our kids. Congrats to you and keeping it all going.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

A teacher at our school is tapping a few trees this year for the first time. If i were you i would go to the leader and lapierre websites and look for local dealers and ask them if they have any evaporators. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    3X10 Lappiere Cross Flow Raised Flue
    Lappiere 250 Turbo RO
    800 ish taps??? for 2015
    rossellsmaple.com

MAY THE SAP BE WITH YOU

I will look into it thanks. I like seeing the progression over the years on your information.

That is a great looking building. I have been showing building images to the eight graders so that they can get good ideas. My goal is to be on the Maine Maple Sunday tour and have a Sugar Shack completely built and run by k-8 children.

+ Reply to Thread