+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: kinetic log splitters

After a couple years of trying to find a used Super Split, I finally gave in and just bought a new one. I tried it out last night. WOW!!! I am upset that I wasted so much time over the last few years splitting with my hydraulic log splitter. This thing is so fast. It's also super ergonomic. I am not fighting the wood at all. This is seriously awesome. Looking the machine over, it is built incredibly solid. Worth every penny. I got the J-Model (the cheapest one) with the production table (awesome) and also upgraded to the Honda engine. It chewed through everything I threw at it last night. Knots, crotches, and all. Motor is quiet and even I eased it back a bit from full throttle and it still never hesitated. Just eats up the logs. My old splitter I always used ear protection but never had stuff flying so I never work eye protection. This is the opposite. Eye protection for sure but its much quieter so no ear muffs needed. Might use them if I was splitting for hours on end.
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

My super split has now processed all my sugar wood for 3 full seasons, plus about 3 full cord each year for my home, and I have about 1 yr. ahead all split for each. I also let a kid I've known for 30 years borrow it ( in 2003, on New Years eve day, he helped set the trusses on my sugarhouse) to split about 1 full cord each year. I love it but as I stated before, I rarely get to use it, because my grandson likes to use it too and whenever there is wood to split he does it.
    No issues yet. As I understand it, Super Split was patented in the mid 70's and they then had 27 yrs. (I think) of patent protection. That protection then ran out and several copies came out. The only 2 I've seen closely are the Super Split and the DR, both are made really well. I also saw from a distance the Chinese copy that TSC carried for a while, but they would not show it to me, it must have been a bad one that was returned. soon after they no longer carried those splitters.
    Still the only issue I have is that I need to lube the main rail and a little roller that rides on the rail to carry the ram back to retract position. That needs to be sprayed each time I (or my grandson) start to use it after a long rest of a few weeks or more. I still amazes me how much I split on a single tank of gas, at least 5x the wood of what my old hydraulic splitter did on the same size tank. I like only needing to run the throttle at about half, my old hydraulic had to be full speed or it would never get done.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345