+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: kinetic log splitters

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    There's a lot more to go wrong on a mechanical machine like this. I'd be waiting for a track record of reliability before I took the plunge. Last year got a Split-fire double acting rig that has a 36" stroke. I cut a fair bit of wood 30" long for the evaporator.
    This one only goes 24". I'd miss that extra 6"
    Brent,

I'm leaning towards the Split fire as well. I'm on the same page as you as far as the kinetic splitters. I'd like some longer term testing, and durability results before purchasing these types of units. Where did you find a dealer for Split Fire? You would think they would be easy to find in Ontario as they are made in Norwich (SW).

http://www.split-fire.com/

Split Fire do have a few dealers but they will sell direct. I went to their shop just south of London and picked mine up there.

Chris is the owner's son who seems be in charge now. His father has some serious health issues. They export a lot of their machines to the USA. I got the biggest one ... fastest stroke and 36" stroke. I got a lifter ... wish I had got one on each side. After you get it go to your local Honda dealer and get a muffler exhaust deflector. About $ 12. It will keep the exhaust from cooking your right leg while you're running it on the motor side.

I have a heard good things about them speed wise which is nice but, you need to replace the flywheels they do wear out. the main problem I see is that if you have big wood to split(which I usually do because I use everything I can find. you can't get it up on these splitters you can lift it up with a tractor or something!!! from what I have read you have horizontal splitting thats it. With the hydrolics many you can switch from vertical to horizontal in seconds, I know I can with mine and besides mine troy built might not be the best cost $1250 new and these run about I think $2100 + which was more money than I wanted spend!!! It works good for me I put through 18 cords this year and everything from hardwood stumps to the knotiest nastiest syuff you can think of and knotty pine up to 36" in diameter no problem what so ever!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vikingHB View Post
    Brent,

I'm leaning towards the Split fire as well. I'm on the same page as you as far as the kinetic splitters. I'd like some longer term testing, and durability results before purchasing these types of units. Where did you find a dealer for Split Fire? You would think they would be easy to find in Ontario as they are made in Norwich (SW).

http://www.split-fire.com/
    I agree I would like to see them after a few years on th e market. Speed seems to be the only advantage. I can see parts wearing out faster than a hydraulic splitter. Although I have had my problerms with them , such as slowing down after time. Either the pump, cylinder or hand valve breaks down. I need to take my Northstar 22 ton in an have it looked at.
    Woodsman
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

Super splits have been around for over 30 years. That should be proof enough that they work. I just bought one two weeks ago. Its used and I need to do an engine swap on it. Everyone that has one likes them. Everyone Ive talked to that has one says nothing breaks or wears out on them. The speedpro Looks kinda cheesy. Its made in china and people have had problems with the flywheels being out of balance and the racks not being hardened right and shearing off.
    02 F350 powerstroke and 89 Toyota 4X4 5 speed sap haulers
    16X16 sugar shack
    30"X8' raised flue GH Grimm evaporator Smoky Lake Maple front pan!
    Sthil MS 460, 026 (2), 009, husky 61, 365, 272, and a 42
    2009 41 taps, 2010 72 taps on a barrel evapotator all buckets, 2011 151 taps 34 buckets 117 taps on tubing.

I have never seen a log splitter like this.

They are fast and simple. For commercial use = maybe not a good idea. But for the average home owner I don't think they could do any better.
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

I have owned the Wood Wolf and really like it. It is the same design as the SS. Those people let the patent run out about 7 years ago and the folks at wood wolf snagged it or just started to copy it. I have had good luck. These things obviously were designed before OSHA was around....because if you are not careful... off with your hand! But boy, I laugh at people with hydraulic splitters who are spittle small syrup wood. They are just wasting time!
    MapleME
    Brunswick, Maine
    2x5.5 Lapierre Raised Flue, AUF
    150 taps on gravity line
    2011 John Deere Gator XUV, gonna be a great hauler
    Wood Wolf Splitter
    One VERY understanding wife

My wife just bought me a Super Split . She had me order it for Christmas. Expected to arrive in about 3 weeks.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I noticed the same thing Thad did- in the OP video they speeded up the film. No doubt they are faster, but it makes you wonder about the ethics of the company marketing them. I also like the option of vertical splitting with hydraulic, as well as the idea that they are less likely to sever body parts.

Two years ago, after splitting 6-7 cords of hardwood a year for 32 years with a Monster maul, my son suggested I go to a splitter. I don't regret splitting by hand all those years because I liked the workout, but I sure do like splitters!

Peter
    1991-1993 traded sap for syrup, 30 taps
    1994 small flat pan outdoors 30 taps
    1995 barrel stove, small pan outdoors 30 taps
    1996-2011 homemade 2 X 4, sugarhouse, 50 taps
    2012 new 2 X 4, 60 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast