+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Oz: "honey is the most nutritious sweetner"

Default Dr. Oz: "honey is the most nutritious sweetner"

Early last week or maybe sometime in the week before, Dr. Oz made a guest appearance on NBC's Today Show. It was a cooking segment, four different dishes I think. Each called for a sweetner. He declared mid-preparation of one of them that he recommends honey because it contains the most nutrients of all the sweeteners. On a hunch I did a little google searching and guess what: according to the sites I found, maple syrup contains more nutrients in both number and quantity! Nothing against honey, but I think we should collectively request that he set the record straight. A retraction by the good Dr. sure wouldn't hurt our induxtry publicity wise.

Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Honey is also NOT recommended for children under 12 months old due to the risk of botulism.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Its not the first time Dr. Oz has blundered. A few years back he went national claiming that a new supplement called Garcinia Cambogia was to be the "Holy grail" of weight loss supplements causing quite a frenzy. Turns out there was very little scientific evidence that it did anything at all. You've probably never even heard of it.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2015- 1000gph memtek RO, 3250 Taps, 1200 gallons

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

2017- 2400gph. Lapierre RO, 10" filter press, 5000 taps

I thought honey was not recommended for children due to the high pollen/allergy potential
    20 plus years of 2 by 2 flat pan
    2014 new Phaneuf 2 by 6 drop flue
    350 taps on gravity 20 on bucket

On the topic of honey which I've been thinking about becasue of the farm bill. The new farm bill is going to extend food vouchers to farm market sales, something some states including my own did for the elderly last year with USDA funds. Those vouchers were good for veggies, fruits, and honey. The maple lobby should get that to include farm market syrup sales,. I think that would help benefit small producers. Anyone active in a large maple association that could bring that up somewhere?
    “A sap-run is the sweet good-bye of winter. It is the fruit of the equal marriage of the sun and frost.”
    ~John Burroughs, "Signs and Seasons", 1886

backyard mapler since 2006 using anything to get the job done from wood stove to camp stove to even crockpots.
    2012- moved up to a 2 pan block arch
    2013- plan to add another hotel pan and shoot for 5-6 gallons
    Thinking small is best for me so probably won't get any bigger.

Thanks, Flat Lander. I sent a brief email to doctoroz@mail.doctoroz.com. Maybe if all of us, including the associations, fill his inbox .... who knows what might come of it.

In the Capital District of NY there is a huge push to consume honey from your local area as it has been proven to aid in allergy issues. I know one place that is selling over 10 gallons a week. Our old family MD said after a baby was 18 months that honey was fine...he knew my father in law used it in his coffee and made a point of no honey in the young boys and girls.

now we are looking to get into bees for the oldest and his girl friend and my wife suffer with allergies.

Great Point pdr!!!

Not sure if this is the segment you are talking about but it looks like this one came from Jan. 30. http://www.today.com/video/today/54222896#54222896

Yup, NW Ohio, that's the segment. Thanks for finding it. Dr. Oz' exact quote was "Honey is the only sweetener that has nutritional benefits that are significant" - to which the NBC host responds "WOW."

Quote Originally Posted by NW Ohio View Post
    Not sure if this is the segment you are talking about but it looks like this one came from Jan. 30. http://www.today.com/video/today/54222896#54222896

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast