+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning Glass

Default Cleaning Glass

Over the past several years I have at times had to dump syrup from glass maple leafs, and other sorted speciality glass. I did an advance search hoping this subject had come up in the past but apparently it has not. What is the best way to clean that glass so I could refill and get some use out of them?? I have tried a diluted clorox mixture, but after rinsing there still appears to be water? spots on the inside. Has anyone ever tried boiling the glass bottles in a large pot of water to kill any potential bacteria or germs? Open to Ideas or Suggestions on this

Thanks Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Mark I hate to even say this as someone will debate this with me and thats not what Im looking to do. But check with your local ag laws. Where I am once that glass has been used it cannot be used for resale again. With the price of these specialty bottles that can hurt a mans wallet. It is what it is though. Just check first. Im not saying at all they cannot be cleaned and reused safely Im saying it may not be legal in your area.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

I believe the same goes for Massachusetts. You cannot reuse a glass container, unless it is washed by a "certified" machine - such as those used in the milk industry. My understanding is that they are very expensive and require regular inspections.
    -----------------------
    Bill Smith (Papa Smiff)
    • Hoping to build 2x4 with AOF & AUF
    • Looking for trees to tap in my suburban wasteland
    Hopes for 2014: Talk to neighbors about tapping trees behind their houses, and nearby roadside trees.

I would be very cautious about putting syrup into bottles that you rinsed with clorine water. Most likely the clorine will impart a off flavor to the syrup. I do not know if it is legal or not, but clean hot water is what I think would work the best to clean with. Personally if you are sure nothing but syrup was put into the jars and you rinsed them well with clean hot water then hot packed syrup at the proper temp, and used a good cap I think they would be fine.

I would do the same....I just wouldn't advertise it.
    2 1/2 x8 Lapierre Waterloo-Small (oil fired)
    Leader Steamaway
    1200 gph Lapierre RO
    1800 taps
    http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ks/Sugarhouse/

Mike Christian
    505 Main St. Orwell, Vt.

I think some of the regulations are good but I also believe that our country is wasteful. For years milk came in glass and was rinsed and then used again (who knows how many times). Now with regulations it's almost impossible to do this. I believe tough times are ahead for our country like we have never seen before. I plan to have glass bottles in sizes all the way up to 1 gallon sizes for the ability to reuse them. If our country does drops into financial difficult like a great depression then there will be little or no regulations and having glass containers that could be reused would make one have a corner on a market.

As for right now i think your right better to be safe than sorry. Stock glass for the future.

Jason

The big question is if you're selling your product.
    If not, then I'd treat the containers like canning jars. We run our jars through the dish washer one full cycle (hot wash and dry) and then boil them right before canning. Use new caps/lids everytime.

If you're selling, then it's a whole different ball game.

Thanks for the suggestions

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

When we did home delivery in glas bottles, the returned bottles were subjected to a bath in a caustic solution to kill any and all bugs then rinsed a whole bunch of times. Expensive equipment and probably not acceptible environmentaly anymore.
    Wouldn't be very economical for maple syrup jars.
    2 x 6 W F Mason arch, Leader WSE AUF drop flue pans
    40 taps 2009-
    New 16 x 16 sugar shack 2010
    180 taps 2012 -
    200 taps 2013 -
    220 taps 2014 -
    250 taps 2015 -
    300 taps 2024
    shurflo pump 2016 -
    new mainlines and saddles 300 taps 2017-
    added Deer Run 125 RO, Lapierre 7 inch filter press and CDL water jacket canning unit in 2019
    Bombardier 400
    BX 22 Kubota
    2024 is our 29th year making the " nectar of the gods"
    Just a hobby

+ Reply to Thread