+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats new this year for everyone?

theron, she'll have 2 - 7.5 hp high pressure pumps. I was thinking of going the route you are with multiple machines. But like you have eluded to, you may end up running for awhile before you fire up the evaporator. I want to fire up the RO and evaporator at almost the same time. I just don't have time to wait. the last couple of years of very low sugar content (last year I was ecstatic when our highest load came in at 1.6) have really driven this home for me. I also have my reservations about multiple machines. Yes, if one machine breaks down you can still keep going, but you have many more moving parts to break down, more machines to clean and maintain, more (bigger) RO room, etc. I feel (obviously) you can argue it either way. I went the one machine route due to the fact I had a 20 year old machine that had served me well, but it was 20 years old. It was time to update. I think your machines sound like they are a little newer than my old one. It will be interesting to see what each of us can do. keep in touch during the season.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Smile

Lew- I think you went the right route for what your trying to do for sure. Youll love it. Itll perform like crazy with two 7.5s. The only reason Im doing things like I am is becouse Im willing to look around and take the time to try to find deals and such. More bullcrap involved but I havent really spent a lot of money on any of it. I just stick new membranes in the machines and add a post and away we go. Whatever they do they do. Anything to get rid of water. I might keep right on buying them. I want to do just like you said and just turn on everything at once and have my 15% and go to bed early.

I'm kind of late to get things rolling but this year it's a new sugarhouse and an old RO. Picked up the RO after the season last year and forced my hand at the new shack build. 15 x 25 sugarhouse with an attached 6x12 RO room and 5x20 wood room. Have tin and coupola built and working on the board siding. Gotta get this done before the nightly freezes! As everyone says...never enough time!
    78 acres of heaven on earth
    2x5 Patrick Phaneuf evaporator
    Springtech Mini Elite 125 R.O.
    280 on vacuum, more to come in 2012!
    International springtech mini elite owners club member serial number T-9318.
    New 15x25 sugarhouse with 6x12 attached RO room for 2012.
    http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...house%20build/

Theron

My RO machines are going on 3 and 4 years old. The big machine I bought used and the 1000 I bought new. The big one is overkill, but works excellent and was priced right. It was used 2 seasons before I bought it. I am real close to Brennemans. If you are ever down this way, look me up and stop in.
    Jeremy
    Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
    Somerset County, PA
    22000 taps on vacuum and counting
    4x14 Leader Max pans oil fired with steam-away, 2-1000gph RO's, 2-4000gph RO's

Finally getting around to writing something here. Making the switch to electric in the bush for next season. Glad to have the 820 ft. of 200 amp wire buried and connected at both ends. Dug and backfilled in only 5 hours by a buddy I work with using our mini excavator! Now to get the new Busch pump and accessories into the pumphouse and working, and eliminate all the sap ladders.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

all new to me, 1100 taps ,new set up on vacumn getting greyer already and its not completly done ,don't know what to expect other than i have put all my trust in brad from leader

Good Morning To All...Just an update for the sugar makers and the calls we have been getting here at the sugar house. Thanks for the interest. Our guys have been working in the woods repairing and "adding" for 2 weeks now. Everything is ready to go. 2 more pump houses are being made then all of our pumps will be inclosed. We will start tapping on Monday and it will take about 2 weeks to finish. Will post a count and the day we finish tapping. May Mother Nature be with You!!
    Richard
    I am a 3rd generation maple producer, with 80,000 taps & 28 sugar bushes.
    2 evaportors, 6x16 & 5x16 Water/Loo Small Turbos
    2 ROs, 1 2400 gph & 1 1800 gph
    2 10" filter press full banks
    Sap Tanks rangeing from 600 to 6000 g
    (Hired Boys says "All numbers subject to change" Ha Ha)

Good to hear from you Sugarmaster! New for this year for me is quite a bit. Going from 230 taps to 1200+ (lost count at this point). New 3 by 10 intens-o-fire and a vacuum tbuing system. New 7" full bank filterpress by WesFab and a viariety of stainless steel tanks. I think Im going to tap in on the 11th. Goal for this year is 400 gallons of syrup. Still need to set one tank and releaser but other than that I think I'll be ready.

Scott
    7,000 high vac taps
    6x16 leader evap
    2200 GPH Lapierre Turbo RO
    2400 GPH Springtech RO
    To many tanks to count

www.waysidemaplefarms.com
    http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k578/waysidemaple/

Scot, I know you are so excited about the new equipment and how you can't wait to use it. Dont forget to let us know how the boiling is going and how the rig works. Yeh Yeh yeh about the "add ons" Not so many but Linda keeps threating to quit if we add any more on. Messes her paper work up. Just give her another cup of coffee and she keeps going.
    I am a 3rd generation maple producer, with 80,000 taps & 28 sugar bushes.
    2 evaportors, 6x16 & 5x16 Water/Loo Small Turbos
    2 ROs, 1 2400 gph & 1 1800 gph
    2 10" filter press full banks
    Sap Tanks rangeing from 600 to 6000 g
    (Hired Boys says "All numbers subject to change" Ha Ha)

Almost everything is new to us this year. Got a new to us 2x6 evaporator and a new Lapierre Sirofilter. Hopefully its a good season!
    Northcentral Pennsylvania - Shinglehouse
    2'x6' Small Brothers raised flue wood fired
    12" Lapierre Siro filter
    148 buckets and 106 on gravity 2013
    230 buckets and 15 on gravity 2012
    205 buckets 2011
    Stihl 036 Pro, Stihl 026 Pro, Stihl MS 250
    Husqvarna HUV, Ford 4000
    Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 w/ 210 poly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast