+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin Village

Not worth a hoot!! Got my last sap about a week ago. Just enough to sweeten the pans but no draw off. Now I'm wondering since it looks like at least until the end of the week before weather improves if I should just dump it and start over with a clean rig. I'll have held the sap over a week and a half.
    How are you doing? Are you up at the sugarhouse this weekend?
    Take care.
    Al
    Al
    Algiers 24x66 evaporator
    180 taps (all buckets)
    New Holland 1720 Tractor
    Pumpkin Village Settlement
    and a big smile!
    A wife and 2 boys who make it all fun.

Al,

Leave it in the pans, it will be fine!
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

vermontkyle Guest

Hey Al,
    Yeah, I understand your quandry with the sap. I live in So. Burlington and boiled last sunday (9days) ago. It ran a little that monday and tuesday then froze leaving an inch or so in the buckets. I've been wondering whether to dump them or not. I checked the sap today though when it warmed up and it looked o.k.
    I think if it is warm enough we'll gather tomorrow and boil thursday then hopefully again this weekend. It was running well for a couple hours today-at least on the trees in the sun.
    Anyway, I've read enough of Pumpkin Village I feel like I know you.
    -Kyle

Al, If the sap runs this weekend ill be there sunday......And probally monday and tuesday.....Its been a slow start......

Kyle, come on up and see us. Were are you in South Burlington? I get down there every couple of weeks.
    Al
    Al
    Algiers 24x66 evaporator
    180 taps (all buckets)
    New Holland 1720 Tractor
    and a big smile!

vermontkyle Guest

Hey Al,
    Im in Mayfair Park which is off Williston Rd. by the Ethan Allen Motel. ACtually if you drive down Williston Rd. youll see some sap buckets on trees kind of across from the Ground Round-anyway those are my buckets-my family ownes the Ethan Allen Motel and I tap around that too-also in colchester at my parents and at a friends out in Williston-101 taps in all this year (wanted that 100 to join the VMSMA).
    I will stop by some time-my father in law lives in Fairfax and we get up to Brannons every now and then for their sunday breakfast.
    I collected today and not quite enough to boil yet-sap looked good thoug-probably sunday as I have to work saturday-thinking of putting up some cardboard signs on Williston Rd. dircting people to the boiling in an attempt to do my part for the maple open house weekend. Most of the neighbors are from down country anyway and boiling usually attracts an interesting group of onlookers.
    PS-I also grow giant pumpkins-if you are interested I've got some good seeds.
    Nice Chatting,
    Kyle

Hi Kyle. Know right were the motel is. Pumpkins seeds are a hit here. My oldest boy Warren sales pumpkins in the fall for college money. Of course he's only nine but with the price of school better to start early. It's alot of work but we help him out. He's pretty happy around Halloween though.
    Well we gathered around 90 gallons today and will boil tomorrow. Checked the sap in the tanks and it just looks a little milky to me. Going to clean everything tomorrow just to get off to a good start.
    Take care.
    Al
    Algiers 24x66 evaporator
    180 taps (all buckets)
    New Holland 1720 Tractor
    and a big smile!

Well collected some more and had around 150 gallons. Cleaned everything and started over. Boy that sweetening pans deal takes awhile. We drew off about 2 gallons of fancy. Front pan is almost ready to draw off. Well have to run. Wood to put in and the boys are ready for maple open house weekend. They love to go to other sugarhouses. Of course almost all of Warrens classmates have someone in sugaring. Heck the schoolhouse even has it's own sugarhouse with a 2x6 in it.
    Take care
    Al
    Algiers 24x66 evaporator
    180 taps (all buckets)
    New Holland 1720 Tractor
    and a big smile!

Glad to see your getting sap Al, the way things have been going north of here it just seems real late. 8O
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Hey Jim, I think where about the same as last year as far as starting, but im way ahead of last years crop.. ...66 gals so far and it look like the sap will run good for the rest of the week......Hey Al, I noticed the sap yesterday was a little cloudy......Hope its not a sign of things to end.. 8O

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast