+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Distant Syrup Travel

Default Long Distant Syrup Travel

Sold some syrup at a fall festival today. One of my first customers inquired about the shelf life. She said she was going to Holland in a few months and wanted to take some with her as gifts. I thought that was pretty cool. Maybe she can set me up with a distributor in Amsterdam!!!
    First year 2006 and growing each year
    12 X 20 Sugar Shack
    2 X 6 Small Brother's Lightning
    2012 275 Buckets
    2013 360 Buckets
    250 GPH RO
    Kawasaki Mule Sap Hauler
    http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/h...Sugar%20House/

I was gone from VT for 2yrs and had syrup left from March 2008 opened it 2010 oct 2010 and I didn't notice anything different.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Had a co-worker tell me last week that she sent some maple syrup home with her sister-in-law to Paris. She works in a hospital, and apparently one of the Dr's there is now hooked on my maple syrup.
    I thought it was cool to know that our syrup went international - especially considering we're a small hobby producer and made 100L last year.
    2008 Bought 16 acres, built cabin
    2009 50 taps 15L syrup. Buckets, spiles & cinderblock arch!
    2010 85 taps, 40L syrup. Cinderblock arch is toast!
    2010 Fall - bought D&G 18"x5' evaporator, built sugarshack
    2011 164 taps 100L
    2011 Fall - set up Rapi-tube system for 190 taps
    2012 ready to go with 232 taps all on tube
    http://www.kodakgallery.ca/ViewSlide...8113.126697300

My farthest has been to New Zealand. Love it. I should have kept a record of states and countries. I remember several but I'll bet I forgot some. Some went to Honduras this summer, to a missionary who orders it special, he's hooked.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

last week we shipped to Texas and Virginia. Farthest I know of was a fella in the service taking a quart back with him to Germany.
    Mike

Default Shelf life

Had someone call me this year re: a gallon of syrup in a glass jug in a basement. Last time someone around here canned in big glass gallons was the 1970's. The seal was good and the syrup, it turned out, was exceptional!!!! A lot of old timers liked their syrup in glass - and my father always said "Clear enough that they could read the newspaper through it!"

Default Far away

The store I sell to had a guy come in around the end of August, Bought all they had in plastic & said he was shipping it to Japan.
    started 2007 50 taps. wife & me, 2x4 flat pan.
    Old 4 acre Girl Scout camp upstate NY. 18x10 shack.
    2008 100 taps, 2009 150 taps, 2010 200 taps.
    2011 Upgraded to a 2x8 , 400 on pipe, 50 pails
    2012 550-600 taps. no pails new sugar shack,250 sq ft ? new wood shed 8x24,
    Honda Rubicon w/ tracks & 200 gal tank on trailer

During the festival last week a young lady was interpeting to her parents as she was going thru the craft building, I always display something about Maple and I helped explain Maple Syrup to her then she explained to her parents. I gave them a sample taste of Syrup and Candy and Coated Nuts. Needless to say my Maple Syrup made in West Virginia, USA. Has made the trip to Island of Sardina, off the coast of Italy. Trying to Balance the trade deficit one jug at a time. My mother inlaw took my syrup with her as gift when they went to New Zealand on a Mission Trip about Six or Seven Years ago. Rumer has it that a order came in from that region this Spring for 80000 quarts to one of the large packers in New England? Just think what one quart as a gift can do! Just Kidding

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Had a family reunion this summer and a 3rd cousin showed up from Hong Kong. Took some syrup back to Hong Kong with his family.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

This was our first commercial year but we ended up selling syrup everywhere from Florida to Massachusetts to Washington (state) and down to Arizona. It was a great feeling putting in all that hard work to produce a product from our woods and then have it go so far away to someone.

Kinda corny I guess but I enjoy it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast