+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio Deer Hunters????

Hybrid View

Default Ohio Deer Hunters????

Heres the deal. I have full access to a guest house a huge guest house in Portage county Ohio near Suffield. I do service out there for a company that purchased this house for various reasons along with guest to their business to stay at. I have been close friends with the owner for alot of years. Well I just got back from their and am wanting to spend some time in Ohio bowhunting. What Im am looking for is if there is anyone familiar with the area that has any advice on either private or state land. With over 4 months of deer season in Ohio and the cheap nonresident hunting license I am going to take advantage of the deal. So any advice out there to areas and what to expect?
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Not sure of that area for hunting. I would go to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources web page and check it out for public hunting. Should be able to check and see how many were tagged in the area last year there too.

Thanks I did that yesterday. The numbers look good, everywhere I looked there was soybeans and corn fields when I was there this week. I looked at alot of pictures of supposedly Portage county bucks. Some nice deer. Whats the deal with the license? It seems that you need to purchase a hunting license and then buy your tags seperately? I see that they have a license fee an antlerless fee and an antler tag fee. How many tags does Ohio give out to one hunter. Not trying to go crazy with tags just curious. A buck and doe tag would be good for me as I have 5 I can fill here at home. I like the looks of all that farm land.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef

Sign up for the hunting chat bulletin board I believe there is an Ohio section there. The board is very similar to this one lots of great information.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Quote Originally Posted by steve J View Post
    Sign up for the hunting chat bulletin board I believe there is an Ohio section there. The board is very similar to this one lots of great information.
    I think a couple of the Hunting Chat members hunted Ohio last season.

im in portage county. about 10 miles east of suffield. lots of public land. check west branch state park. theres alot of land in maralboro township that is strictly archery in some areas. and there are some huge bucks out there. i live on the edge of about 400 acres of public land. well edge is an understatement,its all around me lol
    pine grove sugarhouse
    600 taps
    16x24 sugarhouse. not even close to finished...
    4x10 leader drop flue
    too much stuff to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
    heres the deal. I have full access to a guest house a huge guest house in portage county ohio near suffield. I do service out there for a company that purchased this house for various reasons along with guest to their business to stay at. I have been close friends with the owner for alot of years. Well i just got back from their and am wanting to spend some time in ohio bowhunting. What im am looking for is if there is anyone familiar with the area that has any advice on either private or state land. With over 4 months of deer season in ohio and the cheap nonresident hunting license i am going to take advantage of the deal. So any advice out there to areas and what to expect?
    heyyyyy buddy old pal!
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

3rd have you ever hunted with one of those pop up tent blinds. Do they work. I haven't got enough trees close enough to build a stand on thise year.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

KenWP

3rd have you ever hunted with one of those pop up tent blinds. Do they work. I haven't got enough trees close enough to build a stand on thise year.
    I have works great for turkeys, but for deer so so you need something to camo the large shape. I always set mine up in a field corner where there is a large brush pile as the back drop works good. The first time i used one was in the spring turkey hunting wasn't to worried about them seeing it but the deer spotted it from a 1/2 mile away and got spooky now remember this is in the spring with no hunting pressure on the deer. I think the problem is the size and shape is so large its a big change in their environment. Kinda like when you come home from work and your wife has rearranged the furniture in your house. Unless you used your furniture for sap wood than you don't have to worry about that,
    2x6.5 revolution drop flue homemade arch 2012
    Polaris big boss 6x6, Pug (ultimate utility vehicle) sap haulers
    20 taps 2010 93 taps 2011 ??? taps 2012
    12x18 sugar house
    Jonsered 2156, 2171, Husqvarna 346xp, all 3 saws are ported and polished with heated handlebars, Olympyk 999 for the big stuff.
    Thou shalt not Stihl.
    Favorite Color Polished Stainless Steel

Quote Originally Posted by KenWP View Post
    Ken indeed I have and have taken deer out of it with my bow a few times. I think or atleast I believe that the key is to not carry it in with you and take it out when your done. Put it out well before deer season and let the deer get use to it in their enviorment. Atleast this is what I do. I got a little carried away with stands over the years. I have a combination of 20 ladders and hangons out right now and 3 climbing stands. I prefer being up 20 to 24 feet in a comfy stand but blinds do work. Not real big on the short ladder stands but I do hunt out of them a bit. The nice thing about the blind is my daughter has enjoyed many hunts in it with me. She has rattled and called in more than one deer over the years for me.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast