+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: September Journal

Default September Journal

For the first time ever I started one of these and for the first time in about a year there is now a maple classified online. Been burning the midnight oil for the past two weeks and completely missed last weekend but with a little help from a few regs here got things done. Having some wine tonight to celebrate even though there's still much to be done and I will certainly feel it given it's a "school night". Check out Sugarbush.Info if you haven't already.

- Bryan

Thanks for starting Sept's Journal Bryan.

Well it is now T-5 months for me. I took almost the entire summer off from maple stuff and it is about time for me to start getting things together for this coming season.
    There will not be any expansion this year for me. I am going to try and improve what I have and increase the gph that the evap will do. I am adding a hood with preheater.
    Once that is done then maybe looking at adding more on vac.

I am looking to head on up to Patterson's next Sat, Sept 10th for the Open house at the new CDL dealership. Who else is going. I have a few things that I can pick up but mostly wanted to look around, maybe bump into a few Trader's while there. Maybe even run into Theron, anyone know where he has been hiding??? I guess I could always swing over his way, just to make sure he is still kicking.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I will be adding a 600 GPH CDL RO it's used but I'm told it looks brand new. I'm waiting for the membrane report. will be heading back this fall to upgrade to a 200 AMP service to the sugar shack. Looks like I will be looking to add on after I figure out the bulk tank needs.

Well I recieved my order from Maple Guys ,very happy with everything from tubing to taps and tees. I recieved the ceramic blanket from the refractory depot as well and Im going to line the arch this week. Poured footers for the front addition on the sugar house last week and then got held up a little by Irene and all her glory,lost a mainline wire to her as well,at least I didnt have any main line pipe up .Had to trade in truck as well just to many nickels to keep the old ford running any longer ,so busy chasing a new sap hauler as well,does it ever end ? So im going to build the addition this week ,thats my goal , ill post pics as it goes ,good luck and God speed to all ,Al
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

Back to school today for me, Just a cook, thank GOD! Working on the sugar shack 14x14. Looking good. Taking the weekend off for company. Ordered a preheater from Jim Shoemaker. Got wood yesterday for the house, still need more sugaring wood tho'! YIKES is it really September already.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

I hear yeah, and hunting season is only 26 days away! Have lots to do. First, is finish stacking sapwood. Next weekend I will be rocking on that stuff.
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Haynes Forest Products Guest

GramaCindy who is this Shoemake guy does he do good work. Im looking for a preheater myself

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    who is this Shoemake guy...
    LOL... I do believe it's Schumacher - Jim Schumacher.

Not alot done. Got a quote from the local dealer and Jim for a pan. Wow Jim is half the price of Leader. I wonder who I'm going with? It's a shock leader still sells pans at the price they wanted for a front pan. I got my sugar shack stained with two coats of semi transparent gray. Tommorrow I have the day off is school so I'm going to finish my evaporator wood hopefully. I have pine that's been down for a few years and cut for a year so it won't take much to season. I might see if I can get a load of slabs for free so I have some extra wood because I like prossesing and burning slabs better. Lost 5 maples this summer. Two were from a lighting strike two were from wind and one was rotten and near the house so it came down. All my lines are fine though just a little squirrel damage but I will solve that problem this fall. School started this week which severely limits my time. But I purposly made my second semester easier than the first so I don't have much school related work during maple season.
    02 F350 powerstroke and 89 Toyota 4X4 5 speed sap haulers
    16X16 sugar shack
    30"X8' raised flue GH Grimm evaporator Smoky Lake Maple front pan!
    Sthil MS 460, 026 (2), 009, husky 61, 365, 272, and a 42
    2009 41 taps, 2010 72 taps on a barrel evapotator all buckets, 2011 151 taps 34 buckets 117 taps on tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    GramaCindy who is this Shoemake guy does he do good work. Im looking for a preheater myself
    Does he make Steamaways?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast