+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fall trip

Default Fall trip

Just wondering if you guys ever have any meetings in the fall. Ill be spending some time in NW PA this fall for work. Just thought it would be nice to meet some of you.
    Last edited by Josh Nickles; 08-19-2011 at 10:25 PM.
    350 taps on bags
    14'x18' sugarhouse
    Homemade arch
    Smoky Lake pans (love them!!!)
    Thinking of expansion (of coarse)

Not much other than monthly business meetings during the fall. What part of the fall and where will you be?

Jim
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Jim Schumacher Guest

I will be heading out there too in mid to late October, Angela maybe coming along as well. I'm going to need you Ohio and Pennsylvania guys to make an interesting itinerary for us. We are really into strange, beautiful, or abnormal things. Are there any waterfalls or covered bridges along the way or nearby?

Jim

Jim,
    Ashtabula County, Ohio borders NW Pa. It is known for its covered bridges and has the longest covered bridge in the US, we also have the shortest covered bridge. There is a covered bridge festival some time in Sept or Oct every year. Also the Spillway in Linesville, Pa (Father & Son's neck of the woods) is pretty "strange". Thousands of Carp fight over bread thrown to them by tourists. Its where the "ducks walk on the fish."
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

Josh,

Let us know when and where you'll be. I'm sure you could check out a couple of sugarhouses.

Covered bridges are getting rare in PA. A**holes keep burning them down. Only a few small waterfalls in this area. You may want to check out Presque Isle in Erie for sights. Steelhead will be running in the steam that enter the lake. Go to Avonia and they'll be stacked up waiting for the state to harvest them.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Jim
    The covered bridge festival in NE Ohio that heus is talking about is linked below but they are well marked and can be viewed anytime

Covered Bridge Festival,
    http://www.coveredbridgefestival.org/

If abnornal is required, the Spillway in NW PA will fit the bill. This has been a tourist attraction for decades and it was given a multimillion dollar facelift just a few years ago

Pymatuning Lake Spillway - The carp are so thick the ducks can walk on there backs,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIE6D...yer_detailpage

Sugarhouse tours/BS sessions can and do happen routinely
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Oh i see how it is jim. You come up to Door County because its Beautiful and then you stop by my cabin to get the other 2 things out of the way at the same time

Jim Schumacher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    Oh i see how it is jim. You come up to Door County because its Beautiful and then you stop by my cabin to get the other 2 things out of the way at the same time
    That is correct Chuck. We really get a fix when we go to the Door Peninsula when you are in town. The landscape is BEAUTIFUL, and we find you to be very STRANGE and ABNORMAL. Whenever I meet a fellow Trader that knows that I know you they always ask, "what is that guy's deal?". That always makes me laugh.

Jim Schumacher Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Father & Son View Post
    Jim
    The covered bridge festival in NE Ohio that heus is talking about is linked below but they are well marked and can be viewed anytime

Covered Bridge Festival,
    http://www.coveredbridgefestival.org/

If abnornal is required, the Spillway in NW PA will fit the bill. This has been a tourist attraction for decades and it was given a multimillion dollar facelift just a few years ago

Pymatuning Lake Spillway - The carp are so thick the ducks can walk on there backs,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIE6D...yer_detailpage

Sugarhouse tours/BS sessions can and do happen routinely
    Thanks Jim. I checked out that Youtube video of the carp and ducks. That is crazy! I imagine those fish are invasive right? Why don't the make use of them somehow? They could net them and use them for fertilizer of food at the zoo or something?! That gets me thinking, I'll be coming home with an empty trailer...

I look forward to meeting all of you! We should all get together somewhere sometime. Josh, when will you be travelling there for work?

Jim

+ Reply to Thread