+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temp but not density at end of season???

Default Temp but not density at end of season???

During this past hectic season, someone here made mention of calling the season done when they could get the correct temp but not get the density. I did some quick searching and can't find that topic. Is this a result of the sap's composition changing at the end of the season? Or just personal belief?

I've never experienced that. I might suspect a faulty hydrometer (or thermometer). At proper density the boiling point does not vary but one's measurements of the values may.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I don't know...posibbly like maple flats said faulty hydro or could be just plain inexperience.

I am not the most experinced ...like most I use a hydrometer, the temp is just used as an estimate. in the beginning of the season it seems to be closer to the 219* mark but I have had to go as much as 223* + at times to get to the correct density. as long as there is sugar pressent the density will be hit eventually. If your sugar is 1% you obviously need to boil longer to acheive the results. Usuually the Darker grades need to be boiled to a higher temp for correct density.

As far as the change of chemistry of the sap, yep changes through out the season. thats in here in several places or just PM the Docperkins and I am sure he could point you at the correct literature. you can also check the uvm/proctor research site for info too. if you go to my web page I think its on the links credits tab there is a link for the uvm/proctor site.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Default end of season ?????

I have had this happen.End of season syrup,i.e.nasty commercial,has so much air in it the hydrometer will go to the bottom of the cup and it's waaay past syrup.Almost burned the pan.It's the one time the hydrometer lies.

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaple48 View Post
    I have had this happen.End of season syrup,i.e.nasty commercial,has so much air in it the hydrometer will go to the bottom of the cup and it's waaay past syrup.Almost burned the pan.It's the one time the hydrometer lies.
    Like I said, this past season was really hectic, and I'm just now going through my bulk syrup and canning it. One batch dated really late in the season isn't even close to density and I kinda remember a long day of boiling with a couple of batches getting drawn off way over temp but under density. Like most, I use a thermometer to get me close and then use a hydrometer to verify and finish. All my other batches have checked out but this one. I haven't opened the last batch of the year, but I suspect it's the same story.

i am the one that stated that i was done due to up to temp but not density. what happens is sap gets ropey,i had dumped 1/2 of the sap in tank because was ropey. when sap was comming out of tank not ropey i started boiling. made 2 drums of syrup.then the ropey sap was in front pan.can up to temp.but would not come up to denisity.so i dump whole evap and try to start over or call season. called it a season
    10,000 taps and adding on vac.4 liquid ring pumps, lapierre 5x14 thunderbolt, 1800 R/O

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/mapletime/

OH I ran out of wood and called it a season before I got real end of season sap merch sap!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Never had this problem. Boiled some ropey snot over the years and never remember not making it to density.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

nhmaple I hope I don't get my butt in a sling. YOU DON'T PUT THE HYDROMETER IN BOILING SYRUP. Bubbles are no good. You draw off into a hydro cup and test ASAP even waiting 30 seconds can have a huge effect. The best method to test in a cup is to hold under the draw off valve that has the bucket under it. When the thermometer in the pan says its syrup draw off allowing syrup to over run the cup heating it and the hydro and filling it with fresh syrup. I had Jim make up a draw off bucket with filter screen that the hydro cup sits on right under the auto draw. After every draw I can look and see if things need recalibrating. I don't have to fill and dump fill and check fill and dump. This is the first year I didn't break the hydro

I want everyone with a hot tub to get their favorite rubber duck and the neighbor lady down the street get in the tub and.....................................STFUC.... OK OK things float differant in water full of bubbles

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Flat47 View Post
    ...could get the correct temp but not get the density.
    I was asked to comment on this phenomenon.

When there is a VERY heavy microbial load in sap and it is boiled, it is possible to get to a point where the temperature is correct for syrup, but the density is not. This is because all the organic material (slime produced by the bacteria and the bacterial bodies themselves) have a "density" very close to water, however they don't dissolve, but instead, remain somewhat of a gelatinous goo in the pans.

When you measure the temperature, you're getting the temperature of everything in the pans, the liquid, the dissolved sugar, and the "goo". These can get to the point where the temperature is at the correct draw-off temperature (the density of the liquid + dissolved sugar are correct to cause a temperature elevation....the goo just tracks along at the same temperature). However once you draw off and put your hydrometer in the syrup, you find a low density because the lower density of the "goo" (close to water) partially offsets the true density of the syrup (liquid + dissolved sugar), resulting in a reading that is below expected for syrup density.

If you try to keep boiling the stuff to try and increase the density, you're likely to just burn up your pans.

Hope that makes sense.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast