+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brown Leaves?

Default Brown Leaves?

I've pasted the test of an article from our extension office below --- wondering if others are seeing the same thing in your area (and if it will have any impact next spring....)?

Fungus, wind causing some St. Lawrence County maple leaves to turn brown
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 5:33 pm
    By PAUL HETZLER

This summer, many people have called Cooperative Extension asking about maples with browned leaves, and the short answer is good news-bad news: your trees aren’t dying, but they are ugly.

If the maple leaves are brown primarily along the edges, it’s “leaf tatter” from those windstorms in late May and early June. Most leaves hadn’t hardened off yet and got battered and, yes, tattered. They’ll look pretty next year.

If leaves have brown patches on the interior as well as around the edge, and some (or many) are falling, it’s the fungus anthracnose. Remember our so-called spring, a.k.a. that nonstop *#@ rain? Prolonged wet periods favor fungal pathogens like anthracnose, and bruising from high winds created lots of openings for it to establish itself. And, as with many tree disorders, symptoms took a while to show up. Anthracnose (not as scary as it sounds) is rarely of any consequence to a tree’s health unless it’s already under stress and gets defoliated several years in a row. At any rate, the only time it can be treated is in April.

The crimson Norway (“red”) maples, however, seem very prone to anthracnose. Keep trees well-watered during dry spells like we’re having now, but don't get the leaves wet, which furthers the infection. It’s also important to rake up fallen leaves regularly and either put them in the garbage (sorry, composters) or take them offsite. So long as next spring isn’t extremely wet, anthracnose shouldn’t be a problem next summer.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Rock Maple View Post
    I've pasted the test of an article from our extension office below --- wondering if others are seeing the same thing in your area (and if it will have any impact next spring....)?
    We've had dozens of calls from people, and done some site visits to check on the problem this summer. The predominant culprit in this area is anthracnose, caused by the very wet spring. Should be very little influence on the 2012 sap season or long-term tree health.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Yeah I got some of this on my reds. not the ones in the woods but a few in the front yard. it didn't show up until we got that bit of rain last week. at least I didn't see it anyway until I notice leaves on the ground. It seems to be mostly on the lower branches facing into the yard which are effected by the most wind and sun for that matter. but they just started and leaves will turning in a few weeks So I don't think it will cause much difference. I only tap 1 of these trees anyway. the others are still a bit small to tap.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

+ Reply to Thread