+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2006 retail price changes

Default 2006 retail price changes

I was wondering what type of price increases everyone was going to have. Do not want the prices stated but just how much they might go up, for example +$.50/ 100ml in plastic, +$1.50 qts plastic, +$3.00 gals in plastic and so forth. I am hoping we can't get in trouble for price fixing if we do not show our exact price. I haven't set mine yet but I do plan on going up, not sure how much yet BUT all input costs rose and we need to at least cover these or we lose all around. Give us your thoughts. I know I am a little higher than some but I always sell out so it can't be too bad.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'm keeping my prices the same this year, mainly because I raised them last year.

No increase here as I don't do it for the money anyways! :?
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Brandon, you are bad for those of us who want to make some money at this. Yes, it is mostly enjoyable but sometimes a little cash for your efforts gives some enjoyment too.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We have talked about raising prices a bit, as we boil with gas and it has gone from $1.63/gal. last year to $1.85. Last year was our first on gas, and our goal was to sell enough to cover our expenses, which we did plus a little.

Unfortunately we haven't made any syrup yet this season, but we haven't boiled much, either, so I don't know how we'll come out.
    Doug
    Maple Creations
    Coatesville, IN
    350 taps on 5/16 tubing & 4 Lunchbox pumps
    MemProTec Concentrator 300 RO
    Wood-fired 30"x8' D&G Model 500 raised-flue w/Steam hood & blower
    Smoky Lake finisher, D&G filter press,
    http://www.facebook.com/maplecreations

Default price

I am planning on an increase this year. I have always been one of the lower priced around, but I think it was because of lack of confidence. Now that I know I make the worlds best maple syrup, :roll: , like everyone else does. I am raising it to what the market will bear. Yes my costs of production has gone up, and so has the cost of living across the country.( unless you ask the feds who claim it hasnt but conveniently removed the cost of oil products and food from the equation recently.HMMMMM) But I believe tha maple products are still a luxury item that people will pay a premium for. People come out to a sugarhouse for the experience, see it at a roadside stand, specialty food stores, botiques etc. I have never heard anyone say at 9:00 at night "were out of syrup, I need to run to the store."
    600 taps
    4x8 evap
    2 vacuum systems
    And a bunch of junk

Default Out of syrup?!

Ive heard people say "We gotta go get some syrup-we're out!" at 9am though! ....just a few times. I aint putting sugar on my corn flakes!!
    400 on gravity tubing, 100 buckets, 62 HP Deutz Fahr 6210 sap collector, dad's Jd420 crawler backup, round 150 gal Cherry Burrell feed tank. Brother boils it on his 3x8 Leader Special w/ tin pans.
    Frank K.

I do need to recoup what I have put into it and with having to move this past year and build a sugarhouse as I had no place to boil and losing use of my dad's tractor in the move also, I need to make $$$ to help payback the lot of $$$ I spent. I just meant, I am not in it to make a profit or get rich. Hopefully in 10 to 15 years, I can show a profit.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

This morning over pancakes and last years syrup the wife and I were debating a syrup price increase. 5 years ago when we started, I set our prices just a little higher that others in the area. (new sugarhouse, open houses, selling syrup all year and several other factors along with claiming the syrup and honey as a business for tax purposes)
    I know the cost of the jugs is going to increase this year. and we gather along the road and the price of gas sure hasn't gone down. If we did raise them it would be 1 or 2 dollars for each size. To me this sounds like a lot but then maybe I would not have to change again for 5-8 years????
    Some one said in a previous comment that they make the best syrup in the world. I agree! and anyone that wants to get in the syrup business to make their own 1 gallon of quality syrup let them go right to it. This syrup making is a food art form. Its as much show and education as it is production and profits, for most of us hobby businesses. We will not be able to do this if we cant support at least the cost of production. I also don't want to short change future syrup makers by giving our product away. Make sure we have a quality food product and we will get a good fair price.
    The other way to reduce costs is to get more efficient at production. This forum can help us do that also. And I am always looking at ways to reduce labor or increase the production rate.

Still debating a cost increase in PA.
    By the way its cold here today! About 10 degrees.
    Regards,
    CEC
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Yes I am increasing. with talking to others in the Ma. Maple association, most have gone up to at least 13 a QT, thats $3 more for me per QT, in helping with the assoc. it's only fair to keep prices comperable, also if you dollars less, folks may wonder WHY you are so cheap.. is there something wrong with the syrup? so I'm going up on all prices, ya can't give it away with the increase of fuel and jug prices and electricity.... I know Mr's Smith was always a great customer but she will understand... I know we're not in it for the money right? yeah right. I'd like to get some $$ this year, this is my money making year, minimum put out this year in cost so Show me the Money!!!
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast