+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Boil Off Maple Rama

Default Boil Off Maple Rama

I have a few pics and will try to post in order

Left to right in picture, Leader, Lap, D&G, WH Supply, CDL
    this is after first hour of boiling. CDL started out really good followed by Lap and D@G, Leader and another

This pic is at second hour and final of competition

Sap marked at duct tape, bottom of tape was level of water at each hour

CDL boiled off most water in the 2 hour time limit

Lap boiled off the most water with least amount of wood used

It was very interesting to see how they all performed at the same time.
    Oh by the way leader was running their Max Flu pans.
    If I am wrong with anything above please let me know I was like a little kid in a candy store hehe or some other place
    Last edited by Flat Lander Sugaring; 07-30-2011 at 04:37 AM.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Well I thinks its pretty clear that the cdl tank had a hole in it. Tell us what rigs they all had there will you. I am curious who brought what and who wished they brought something else instead. If leader brought a max setup IM guessing these were not all on an equal playing field? So what did they bring to the olympic boilathon? Who flooded there pans at the last minute to get that tank level down lol. I would assume they took the amount in the pans into their calculations yes.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdgen.maple View Post
    Well I thinks its pretty clear that the cdl tank had a hole in it. Tell us what rigs they all had there will you. I am curious who brought what and who wished they brought something else instead. If leader brought a max setup IM guessing these were not all on an equal playing field? So what did they bring to the olympic boilathon? Who flooded there pans at the last minute to get that tank level down lol. I would assume they took the amount in the pans into their calculations yes.
    All plane jane rigs 3x12 I believe, cdl intens-o-fire, WH Supply forced air, D&G forced air, Lap force5, leader vortex with max pans.
    Judges measured all tanks front and back from mid point line and calculated amount of water. Then I saw them looking in a couple of the pans front and rear not sure what they looking for , maybe like you said to see if some one flooded their pan. Then they walked the wood and estimated what was used.

No pre\heaters, hoods, steam away/piggybacks,
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

Was the measurements at the beginning with full pans or empty? It looks like they used more in the first hour than the second..... Did the competition start with no water in pans?
    Thad

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Blaisdell View Post
    Was the measurements at the beginning with full pans or empty? It looks like they used more in the first hour than the second..... Did the competition start with no water in pans?
    i think they did start with water in pans because the tanks looked full right up to the top of tanks
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

They were all allowed to fill their pans to the level they wanted and then the tanks were refilled to very top so they all started equally. If the levels weren't where they wanted them it was their own fault. They all had the same amount of wood mixtures according to species and quality to start from Don Dolliver. I thought of this idea last year and honestly I didn't think any supplier would bite, but thanks to Andy Hutchinson he made it happen. I personally would like to thank all the companies and all customers should thank them also. I think it was a huge success. On a different day, there might be different results, but on this day, my old design of the intens-o-fire did well, but everybody did well in my opinion.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by 802maple View Post
    They were all allowed to fill their pans to the level they wanted and then the tanks were refilled to very top so they all started equally. If the levels weren't where they wanted them it was their own fault. They all had the same amount of wood mixtures according to species and quality to start from Don Dolliver. I thought of this idea last year and honestly I didn't think any supplier would bite, but thanks to Andy Hutchinson he made it happen. I personally would like to thank all the companies and all customers should thank them also. I think it was a huge success. On a different day, there might be different results, but on this day, my old design of the intens-o-fire did well, but everybody did well in my opinion.
    just like the announcer said"some people like Fords, some dodges, and some Chevy's", all the units did well.
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

I was cheering for the little rig on the end. I think the pan was less than 1 foot square.
    Matt

2x6 Phaneuf raised flue pans
    homemade oil burning arch & hood
    homemade RO,auto draw-off, releaser,auto-canning valve, filter press, ext.....
    850 taps

I was there and can tell you that the CDL rig was running full draft. Not gasifaction mode, where the guy from Lap was runing gasifaction mode. CDL had alot of smoke were the lap rig had none. I currently own CDL intenso fire II and was more inpressed with Lap rig. Thinking about selling base and buying Lap rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Grade "A" View Post
    I was cheering for the little rig on the end. I think the pan was less than 1 foot square.
    ok you caught me trying to throw every one off and keeping this a secret t myself. Here's a pic of the rig, now it takes time for him to build these works of art so if your interested in one please contact fabricater ASAP so you can receive it by Dec.

not sure if this is going to help or hurt Leader hahahahahahahahahahahahah
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

+ Reply to Thread