+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sugar shack build

Default sugar shack build

i am looking at building my first sugar shack and just wondering how big to buil it and where to build it? any tips are welcome. just looking for ideas on a first build. i have 52 taps on buckets if that helps.

What size evaporator do you have now and how many more taps do you expect to add? That really points you in the right direction. We run a wood-fired 2'x4' in a 10'x12' sugarhouse and it gets cramped. I wish I'd built it 12'x20'. Always go bigger than what you think you need. By the time you put in the evaporator, the canner, some counter top (or shelving), a couple of chairs and a wheel-barrow of fire wood, you're suddenly all out of room. The University of Vermont Ag Extension used to put out a booklet called "Sugarhouse Design." Send me a pm for details. It's a bit old by now, but still helpful.

I just built a 12 x 16 last year and at this point for a 2 x 6 evaporator I feel it is the perfect size. At least it fits all my needs.
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

Question sugar shack

52 is my total number of taps for next year as i have already bought more. i was thinking about 10x12 shack. i dont plan on having a canner for the next couple years. i am planning on making a homemade 2x5 or 2x6 evaporator. i cant go to big because my property is very rocky and uneven plus i live on a hill.

any ideas of where i should put it? i can put it in the woods just of my lawn but the problem becomes when half the snow melts where my trees are and some trees have a foot of snow. so i cant get my atv to alot of my trees. any idea of what i should collect my sap with?

Take a look at some of the sugarhouses near you. A picture is worth a thousand words. Also ask some questions as to what they would do differently.
    Good luck
    Keith

Spencer11,
    Good luck and get started. Make it high enough you could add a lean too on one side in the future.
    Keep us posted. Pictures are great!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Listen to Flat 47 he is giving you good advice. Elbow room is always appreciated. Another thing you will want lots of are windows, any light after a long dreary winter makes you feel better during your long hours of boiling. good luck and let us see your progress.
    New in 2010:
    18 x 48 D&G
    15 x 13 shack
    52 buckets
    In 2011:
    68 buckets

Ahh I agree with CVmaple on the windows, lots of light and let in the cool air!!
    For movement--the less steps you have to take and can move efficiently to get the work done without tripping over things is the objective.
    Think of a cab on a tractor-- its all at your finger tips you don't have to get up and walk around to preform functions.
    Woodsman
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

Try to plan for the future. If you sometime want to go to tubing find a low location if possible so everything will run to the sugarhouse. I started with a 12 x 16 and a 2x6 evaporator. I have since added a 12 x 16 woodshed, upgraded to a 2x8 evaporator, and looking to add on again. The best advice I got after I built was figure what you need for size then DOUBLE IT!

Jim
    Last edited by Father & Son; 07-05-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: spelling
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Default sugar shack

thanks for all the advice. there i a couple shacks just down my street that a friend of my parents own. i was thinking since i am planning to add a lot of taps in the next 2 years a 12x20' shack would suit me well. for wood i get pallets from a friend of mine and burn them, so i was thinking a 12x16 wood shed. as for tubing i will eventuly get tubing any tips on how to run tubing and maintain it are welcome to. i live on a nice steep hill but my house is at the top and i couldn't at the bottom.

+ Reply to Thread