+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal roof vs wood

Default Metal roof vs wood

Trying to plan a sugar shack and want some thoughts on painted metal roof vs plywood sheeting. From what I've read here the metal may have more condensation issues with dripping, but I think I prefer metal because it wont have to be shingled, and I want to match my future housing plans. Here's my current situation.
    I'm building a 2 x 8 evap by adding some length to an oil tank. Got brand new pans for a good deal so had to pre-upgrade on the evap size. The tanks coming along greta but thats another thread. I'll have eventually 200-300 trees to tap. Not ready yet for a steam hood due to $$.
    I started today grading and ripping stumps on the sugarbush. I'm building as I get $$ so one board at a time, and haven't started yet, but can when done grading. My goal is at least a 12 x 16 shack, and this year I feel like I'll do good to get the Posts and roof up. I may just build the walls this year out of stacked firewood unless I get a bonus or something. So back to the roof questions. I welcome any and all opinions.
    1. metal vs wood- which has fewer issues.
    2. Cupola - definitely want one, but again don't know about working with the metal if I go that way.
    3. Does a cupola just need to be over the evap, or run the length of the roof.
    4. Does a cupola come close to eliminating the condensation issue?
    5. Roof pitch - would a steeper pitch allow condensation to run down the inside and drain under the eave?
    6. I'll eventually want to sell syrup, so does roof type factor in to the food issue- inspections, ect?

I know, a lot of questions at once. Thanks

I will try to answer them the best I can.
    1. metal vs wood- which has fewer issues.
    I prefer metal. I get alot of snow in a year and one less roof to shovel is a bonus. What alot of people do is put a base of wood under it to help stop the rain in the sugarhouse.

2. Cupola - definitely want one, but again don't know about working with the metal if I go that way.
    You definately are going to need one with no hood and I think it is what sets apart a sugarhouse from just a building. Frame it with wood and just use the metal on the roof of the cupola just like you would on the rest of your sugarhouse.

3. Does a cupola just need to be over the evap, or run the length of the roof.
    A good rule of thumb is to make the cupola size tha same as the arch size. A 2x8 evaporator and a 2x8 coulpla would be a good match, however if you are planning on a bigger evap in the future with no hood on it make the coupla bigger now instead of doing it over later.

4. Does a cupola come close to eliminating the condensation issue?
    Well thats a loaded question lol. Without it wheres the steam going to exit the building? It definately helps alot but will not eliminate the irritating drops hitting you on the head. Remeber you need makeup air to replace the air going out the coupla. An open door or window will help.

5. Roof pitch - would a steeper pitch allow condensation to run down the inside and drain under the eave?
    Well it will allow the snow to slide off easier for sure but the condensation is still going to follow every rafter and everytime it hits a board under the steel it will buildup and drip.

6. I'll eventually want to sell syrup, so does roof type factor in to the food issue- inspections, ect?
    Not currently that Im aware of, however you will see in the near future that if you are selling any syrup to a bulk packer you will be required to run a hood over the pans, I am guessing what will follow shortly after this happens the inspectors will put it in place as well for retail sellers. Im not from Ohio though so your regs might be different than NY's
    Last edited by 3rdgen.maple; 07-01-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

If you have a wood fired evap. a metal roof is definately better. Another option is to put a 1" thick rigid insulation between the rafters. The bottom line is the steam will condensate back into water when it comes into anything cold. When there is no or little temperature differential then it won't. Like inside a hood with a preheater. The cold sap in the preheater will drip like crazy but the hood itself will not..
    I personally think the insulation is better but either way the insulation or sheets of plywood is an aditional cost.
    Keith

I read somewhere when I was making my sugar shack that metal is safer if you get a roaring fire and a hot coal lands on the roof. I don't know I have not heard of a lot of sugar houses burning down. That said I have a metal roof, it drips some if the weather is rainy or humid but not too bad I do have a 12 12 pitch and I think that helps. I found some corrigated metal roofing a Lowes that was 50% off that helped cemeted my decision at the time. Happy building

If you stand outside the shack some night, and watch the stack while someone's loading...you'll be alarmed at how many sparks fly. Metal is the way to go, and a roof over your wood will make better firewood and keep the sparks out too.

Default Roof

I have a wood fires unit and a metal roof. I also have a free hanging hood.(not mounted on the evap) Some steam does roll out from under the hood and will condense on the inside of the metal roof if the weather conditions are right. (cold out side) I have now installed a attic fan in the shack and this takes care of that problem. Hind sight I would of liked to insulate the roof but at the time money was the problem.
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    2x8 stainless Dallaire evaporator, wood fired
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G
    Built new 24' x 40' shack in 2006
    http://www.blsugarbush.com

With no hood you will still get dripped on with just metal on the roof regardless of the pitch. My roof is a 13-12 pitch and before I got my hood it was like Chinese water torture. On my next sugar house I am going to use plywood and cover that with metal.

For steam venting purposes you do want to build a cupola. Your cupola should be as big as the biggest evaporator that you may someday upgrade to.

12x16 is a good size for a 2x8 evaporator but 14x20 gives you some room for visitors, other equipment and storage. You may want to put a shed roof off of one side for wood storage. Dry wood makes a big difference in the evaporation rate.

A metal cutting blade for your circular saw makes the metal easier to work with.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Go as big as you can on the building. I have a 2x8 and a 24 x 48 building and it is none too big.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning towards metal and hadnt thought about the insulation, I can see that helping. I'm definitely firing with wood because the property was logged before I bought it and Have more wood than I cn get to. Did get the grading done and getting ready to set a 30 ft office trailer we have for a hangout, then start on the sugarhouse. Have to design a cupola in. Does anyone know of drawn up plans for sugarhouses or is it something everyone just figures out? I haven't found much on line for how to build that in but I am fairly handy.
    SevenCreeksSap
    About 80 taps and a sapsucker.
    A wife who doesn't shop and lets me buy Maple stuff

Bascoms has some plans in a booklet they sell but they are not very detailed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast