+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Northern Vermont

Default Northern Vermont

I took a walk in the woodlot today to flag some trees for next years firewood and noticed a couple of the red maples that I normallly tap had budded during that warm spell throughout Janurary. It has since gotten very cold as many of you know, with several nights this past week below zero and highs in the low 20's. Am I out of luck for tapping this year because some of the trees already budded, or will the new cold snap completely reset the process? I do not want to ruin any good sap I may be able to collect, but if I can not tap the reds, I will probably not be able to boil this year If I am not able to collect on my property, i may have to haul it in from a friends place. Not an easy process as I do not own a truck tank! Anyone out there have any input? Are all the reds that have budded so far out of the question? Once again I need the input from the pros on MapleTrader.com.
    78 acres of heaven on earth
    2x5 Patrick Phaneuf evaporator
    Springtech Mini Elite 125 R.O.
    280 on vacuum, more to come in 2012!
    International springtech mini elite owners club member serial number T-9318.
    New 15x25 sugarhouse with 6x12 attached RO room for 2012.
    http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...house%20build/

Hi Daren, don't have an answer but the Procter Research Center may have. There under the UVM home page. Just looked at the weather an two days in the forties have me itching. You can see my sugarhouse from the road coming down it but not up it. I'm at 1334 Pumpkin Village Rd. You and Nick should get together an come on up. Give me a call I'm in the book. Take care,
    Al
    Algiers 24x66 evaporator
    180 taps (all buckets)
    New Holland 1720 Tractor
    Pumpkin Village Settlement
    and a big smile!
    A wife and 2 boys who make it all fun.

I will take a look at the website to see if there is any info. I have met Nick on one other occaision at another friends (and mapletrader). I think an attack enmasse to your place is a great idea....not sure what that might do to the property values though....

I looked at the proctor site and did not come up with anything. I might post this question outside of the vermont tapping site to see if anyone else might have some input on should I or shouldn't I.

ps. whats with the 36 degrees outside right now.....at almost midnight. I need more COLD....or gotta get drillin'. :?

A guy that i know in the Jericho area has made 5- 55 gal. barrels so far. I'm not sure of the grade or the sugar content, but he does have around 11,000 taps or so. But this cold weather we're having now should set those buds back a bit. I wish everybody an excellent season!!
    Ryan

-Dallaire 2 1/2 x 8 raised flue w/ pre-heater and hood, and forced draft arch
    -Lapierre RO
    -JD 4520 compact 4x4
    -2007 Suzuki Eiger 400, 4x4
    http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/MapleManVT/

Daren - If the Proctor site didn't have the info you're looking for on the red maple question, give 'em a call. I think their phone # is on their website. I've called 'em before about a bunch of different stuff and they've always been helpful. Good luck!
    Lance

Lookin' to get educated.
    Waterbury, VT

Started tapping today.....Got 3/4 done......Used a 18 volt DeWalt drill.works pretty good.......Will finish tomorrow and will hook up the vacum this weekend...OH YEA!!!!!!!! The SAP was running some today......

Thats great mike! you'll be boilin in no time....

Finshed tapping yesterday..... ....The sap was running again!!!! Hope to have vacum hooked up the weekend.....Will add another 80 or so taps next week......Weather looks cold up till next thursday.....

How much sap did you collect? Did it run well, or just a teaser?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast