+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started today

Default Started today

I started tapping today.Got about 200 done.It is supposed to be in the mid 40s wed and thurs.Got to clean up the pans and hook up my new milk tank yet.I might actually be ready for the first run this year.
    Loudonville,Ohio
    500 taps
    We do it the old fashioned way
    Buckets,Gather with horses,and a wood fired
    3X12 King evaporater

Good luck sugarbear and let the sap flow.
    Gerry
    Leader 2x6 drop flue
    285taps
    185 on sugars
    no longer looking for more trees

Sugar bear,
    i have been trying to decide when to tap as well. I sn't it bad to tap a frozen tree? I have a doctors apointment on Wed and can't start then and with saturday getting cold agian I wasn't sure about ttapping on Thursday or friday either. What is your take on tapping frozen trees?
    Ron
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

I dont think it has been cold enough to really freeze them.We tapped some more today and they were starting to run pretty good in the sun.Our woods is mostly a north slope so it is slow to warm up.But we also have some along a creek that are more open.I did not do any yesterday because it was too cold in that wind.We have about 60-70 more to do in the morning.It supposed to be in the 40s tomorrow and in the 50s on thurs and get really cold over the weekend.
    Loudonville,Ohio
    500 taps
    3X12 King evaporater

today is perfect weather for tapping!!! But here I sit, the doctor jsut put a cinvas shot in my knee and I can't walk well enough to get around the woods. Tomorrow plan on clearing a pluged main line and then maybe I can tap some other wise it will be Monday before i can start.
    Ron
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

Oh well,you can be ready for the next time it warms up.We finished up this morning.They were running fairly good.It is still cold in the woods,there is still a little frost in the ground.We should be able to start boiling tomorrow afternoon.Cant wait!Hope the knee does better,Terry.
    Loudonville,Ohio
    500 taps
    3X12 King evaporater

Terry
    MY knee is feeling better this evening so i think tomorrow I will be able to get that line cleared. That is if it don't rain to hard. Then maybe I can start tapping, if not then my knephews are off on Monday and so am I so i will tap then.
    Ron
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

Hope to tap tomorrow but first I have to replace 500 feet of pump line. The old one froze and split in several places. After looking closer we found that it is very brittle. That is what I get for buying a cheap substitute pipe line.
    Ron
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

I finally tapped today. Temp. was only 32 but they still tried to run on the south side. Now if it warms up I am ready. ( I think)
    Ron
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

Sap ran good today have about 600 gal to boil. Since I got another shot in my knee today I will boil tomorrow. Then I will probably have about 1000 gal.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast