+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Releasers/Vacuums

Default Releasers/Vacuums

Okay, I've never used vacuum or a sap extractor, and probably won't for a while. What is the difference between a sap releaser, and a vacuum pump for sap? Do you have to have one to have the other in your set up? Do you have to have a releaser hooked up to the vacuum pump so when the sap flows it goes throughout the releaser? I've been doing some research on vacuums and releasers but I don't get them all to well. I've especially been looking at the hobby releaser from Lapierre. How much do they go for usually?

Thanks,
    Jordan Clark
    1150 Taps, one 250GPH RO, one 900GPH RO
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf Deluxe raised flue, with forced air, preheater,and stainless hoods.
    18x50 Sugarhouse
    2002 Cummins Sap Hauler

Haynes Forest Products Guest

First a vacuum tank isnt a releaser. The vacuum does the extracting and the in line tank does the storage. A sap releaser allows the sap to be RELEASED from the vacuum system without interrupting the vacuum proses to the trees. Releaser's dump the sap from the releaser tank into a larger storage tank. Most large dairy type vacuum tanks that are used for sap collection need to pumped out when full and that means stopping the vacuum to the tank and draining. There are ways to pump sap from a tank under vacuum but thats another thread.
    If your going to use a hobby releaser then you will need a bulk storage tank. A quick inexpensive solution is a pallet tank.
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 09-10-2011 at 08:04 AM.

What Haynes is talking about is a milk bulk tank for a farm that can hold-up to the force of vacuum, these kind of tanks don't need a releaser but are hard to find and are sold quickly. Most people have a vacuum pump and a releaser. So I will try to break down the parts for you. The vacuum pump is just that, a pump that creates vacuum. The releaser is just like Haynes said, it allows the sap to released from the vacuum/tubing system into a storage tank that is not under vacuum. It is a good idea to have a moisture trap between the releaser and the vacuum pump. A moisture trap keeps the sap from getting to the vacuum pump if the releaser is not working right (saving your vacuum pump). As far as price I think Lapierre's hobby releaser is around $900 now. Something you may want to look into is a sap puller pump. This pump can suck sap through it so there is no need for a releaser or a moisture trap. This one is just under $1000 new good for up to 400 taps http://www.goodrichmaplefarm.com/map...-electric.html I know this one needs power, but I was told it draws so little they are running it on a car battery with a dc/ac converter if you didn't have 110v power nearby.
    Last edited by Grade "A"; 09-10-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Matt

2x6 Phaneuf raised flue pans
    homemade oil burning arch & hood
    homemade RO,auto draw-off, releaser,auto-canning valve, filter press, ext.....
    850 taps

Here's a releaser the Maple Guys sell, it is more than big enough for your operation. It is good for 500-1200 taps http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?i...6category%3D35
    Matt

2x6 Phaneuf raised flue pans
    homemade oil burning arch & hood
    homemade RO,auto draw-off, releaser,auto-canning valve, filter press, ext.....
    850 taps

+ Reply to Thread