+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maple Syrup Alcohol

Okay Flat Lander, My favorite is pretty uncomplicated.You won't even need a wine hydrometer to make it.All you need is a 5 gal.pail with a tight fitting lid, and an airlock and airlock rubber cork(you can buy 'em all over).Sanitation is VERY important,pour boiling water on the inside of the pail & the cover too.The airlock is fitted to the pail cover by drilling a hole slightly smaller than the cork and inserting it. Then in a pot- boil 1 gal. grade B with 2 gal and 1 qt. of water. Bring to a boil-add eight tablespoons of bottled lemon juice and let it cool to about 80*,dump it into the pail,then pour 1 packet of wine yeast on top.Cover with bucket lid and airlock(which you fill to the line on the airlock with water) and wait until it stops bubbling-- some where from 9 t0 12 weeks.Make certain the water level in the airlock does not go dry.Then using a sanitized piece of sap line, siphon the wine into another sanitized pail, leaving the gunk on the bottom of the original pail.Replace cover and airlock, wait a month. Then you can siphon into sanitized bottles and cork, or screw caps down. Store in a place where it won't do any harm in case a bottle may explode,which almost never happens,but there is a remote chance it may.Makes about 6 bottles Wait 6 month before drinking.NEVER drink more than one bottle at a time,you may scorch your syrup pans if you do!!!
    Last edited by latewood; 06-04-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    When the wind's in the west.the sap runs best..
    When the winds in the north the sap runs forth..
    When the winds in the south the sap runs drouth
    And when the winds in the east the sap runs least--Old New England Farm Song

1200 on vacuum-
    R O
    4 x 10 patriot wood burner

Quote Originally Posted by Gary R View Post
    I've made maple wine a couple of times. Dilute B syrup to 21 brix, adjust acid and add yeast. I'm going to start using syrup to sweeten some of my wines, like apple.
    Thanks Gary - I made a lot of various wines years ago and just like syrup making - the Hydrometer is all important. I knew the sugar was way - way too high in maple syrup to make a drinkable product and would have to cut it with a lot of water before the first fermentation. Wine can only ferment to about 12% alcohol and too much sugar (in any form) will just mean a very sweet wine. I would put my yeast in a little warm water and stir it up before mixing it into my must to start fermentation. Thanks again for the information - some of the Gals in my family like their wine and I just might make some and see if they like it --- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by latewood View Post
    Okay Flat Lander, My favorite is pretty uncomplicated.You won't even need a wine hydrometer to make it.All you need is a 5 gal.pail with a tight fitting lid, and an airlock and airlock rubber cork(you can buy 'em all over).Sanitation is VERY important,pour boiling water on the inside of the pail & the cover too.The airlock is fitted to the pail cover by drilling a hole slightly smaller than the cork and inserting it. Then in a pot- boil 1 gal. grade B with 2 gal and 1 qt. of water. Bring to a boil-add eight tablespoons of bottled lemon juice and let it cool to about 80*,dump it into the pail,then pour 1 packet of wine yeast on top.Cover with bucket lid and airlock(which you fill to the line on the airlock with water) and wait until it stops bubbling-- some where from 9 t0 12 weeks.Make certain the water level in the airlock does not go dry.Then using a sanitized piece of sap line, siphon the wine into another sanitized pail, leaving the gunk on the bottom of the original pail.Replace cover and airlock, wait a month. Then you can siphon into sanitized bottles and cork, or screw caps down. Store in a place where it won't do any harm in case a bottle may explode,which almost never happens,but there is a remote chance it may.Makes about 6 bottles Wait 6 month before drinking.NEVER drink more than one bottle at a time,you may scorch your syrup pans if you do!!!
    thanks, I have all the equipment just your recipe is cool,does the smoke/liquer store still have decent supplies there in Bennington?
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Some of the old timer locals here in WV used to make a maple beer out of partly reduced maple sap, some toasted local grains (barley or oats), add a little hops and some cake yeast.

They dumped the hot concentrate into the container, added the grains they toasted in the oven, added the wort (hops?) and added the yeast when the liquid was luke warm.

No one seems to recall the exact recipe anymore, but they all agree its NOT the mead or wine recipe people have been working with now.

Meant to try it this year durring maple season but didn't get around to it.

Might try making RUM out of some old syrup... never seems to last that long though....hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by RockHavenWV View Post
    Some of the old timer locals here in WV used to make a maple beer out of partly reduced maple sap, some toasted local grains (barley or oats), add a little hops and some cake yeast.

They dumped the hot concentrate into the container, added the grains they toasted in the oven, added the wort (hops?) and added the yeast when the liquid was luke warm.

No one seems to recall the exact recipe anymore, but they all agree its NOT the mead or wine recipe people have been working with now.

Meant to try it this year durring maple season but didn't get around to it.

Might try making RUM out of some old syrup... never seems to last that long though....hehehe
    ohhh come on RockHaven, we all know its a stil, theres no revenuers on here
    that would be cool if some one could come up with the recipe
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

+ Reply to Thread