+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WV MAPLER TAPPED 02/11/06

Sap ended up running better than expected yesterday and I ended up boiling off 820 gallons yesterday. Sure made for a long day, but the end result was worth it. All the syrup appeared light or medium. I still haven't filtered and canned anything yet, but I have drawn off around 33 or 34 gallon. I sanitized all my tanks in the woods yesterday after collecting as I try to do nearly every week and the sap was still pouring. Probably left around 200 gallon in them before it quit running last night. It was running full speed yesterday. Cold here today and tommorrow and warming back up. Appears that it may be one of the best sap weeks of the year and I have to be out of town on Wed and Thurs, so a lot may run on the ground unfortunately. Do the best I can and go from there. So far, it has been a good year and if the past two weeks are any indication, it is looking like it may be a good year.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

WOW nice run.. way to go
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

It is supposed to warm up here Tues and stay that way thru the middle of the next with with no freezing. Went thru this 2 years ago and 8 straight days from March 1 to 8th with no freezing and temps in the 50's and 60's every day nearly killed the season and the holes wouldn't run much after that. Too early yet and with being out of town two days this week and trying to do three days worth of work on Fri, may loose a lot of what runs this week.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Maple Hill Sugarhouse Guest

Get some extra tanks set up beside you regular tanks and have someone check on the level for you this week/if there getting full have them move the mainline to the other tank :idea:

Plumb up a splitting manifold with one of these in each tank.

www.mcmaster.com

Item #46585K16

This will stop the flow to the tank that is full, but let flow into ones that are empty.

Brian
    -Brian-
    1st generation sugarmaker
    A wonderful wife, 9 children...
    www.sweetwoodmaple.com

250 Taps on Vacuum for '21
    Welch DuoSeal 1397 w/2HP vacuum pump
    Homemade PVC electric releaser
    D&G 3x10 Drop Flue
    2 x 4 Cherry Burrell flat filter tank
    Apartment Stove fired Phaneuf Canner

Some of my stock tanks have a factory hole just below the rim where you could use a bulk tank type fitting and pipe it over to a tank a little lower in height/so when the first was full it would overflow through the pipe to the 2nd. tank..

Better yet !! Tell your Boss like I do.. During Sugaring season I don't travel... Period.. oh.... what sir? I have to find a new job?? Crap :? :wink:
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Collected 480 gallons of sap last night and hoping it will keep. Some of the sap was not completely clear. I ran it all thru the UV light and hoping to get it all boiled off on Thurs as I have someone hopefully going to boil for me all day on Thurs as I am out of town until late Thurs evening. Sap should be running today and tommorrow before shutting off due to no freezing. I am hoping that sap will keep until Sat as I hope to get it collected Thurs and Fri evenings and run it thru the UV light. Sure stinks having to be out of town as I could have boiled today and tommorrow afternoon as work hasn't been too busy this week. Supposed to get cold thurs night and stay that way until the middle of next week, so that should help some.

Either way, do the best I can and leave the rest in God's hands. I am just thankful for the awesome privelege to be able to do what I do.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Got the 480 gallons boiled off today without me being there and it was all dark A grade due to some of the sap being 5 days old and the temps have been high the last 2 or 3 days. Collected around 520 gallons this evening and ran that thru the UV and hoping it will keep until early Sat morning. Supposed to get in 20's tonight and low 30's tommorrow and 15 tommorrow night. Looks like we should get a pretty good run next week and then it may be over. If I can get the sap I have now boiled off Sat and get 1000 more gallon next week, I would be around 75 gallon which would be fine. Been a hectic year here to say the least and with my dad working on the new house he is building all the time, I don't have him to help me like normal.
    Brandon

24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Hopefully you'll have a couple more weeks left to the season?? 100 gallons would look better then 75? wouldn't it Has it been a Good? Average? Bad ? year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast