+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fathers working beside us!

Hybrid View

Default Fathers working beside us!

As I was reading some of your posts, I was reminded how much of a family type business the maple production is. With fathers day coming, I thought we should at least honor those dads who have given so much. My father, Don Weed, is one of the hardest working men I know. He never complains, just keeps at it and finishes the job without much "to do". I know I couldn't find one person to do what he does. Thank God for his help!

I agree mine is the same way. 75 years old and does more than my 20 year old workers do. My Dad always does it right knowing our name is on it. Lee
    Lavoie's Sugar Shack
    130 taps
    Homemade rear fired oil evaporator
    oil tank evaporator
    Home made stainless steel flue pan
    Homemade R O
    addition on barn for sugaring
    2 children who love hauling sap
    golden retriever who love syrup
    Barry the helpful neighbor who loves bottling
    Good wife who likes to think she finances this insane hobby

Smile

I was raised on Mapling with my Dad in our back yard operation. I got away from it for about 20 years, Just helping him out occasionally when I came back home for a visit. After I moved back home I realized he wasn,t gonna be doing it many more years. and I would like to continue the family tradition. So i started my operation. Fortunately he was around a couple years when I started to help me out. He's been gone 3 years now and I sure do miss him when the snow starts melting.
    started 2007 50 taps. wife & me, 2x4 flat pan.
    Old 4 acre Girl Scout camp upstate NY. 18x10 shack.
    2008 100 taps, 2009 150 taps, 2010 200 taps.
    2011 Upgraded to a 2x8 , 400 on pipe, 50 pails
    2012 550-600 taps. no pails new sugar shack,250 sq ft ? new wood shed 8x24,
    Honda Rubicon w/ tracks & 200 gal tank on trailer

Well -- In Families - Sugarin has to start some place. About 18 years ago - some friends got my wife and I interested in making Maple Syrup. They had been doing it for years and were kind enough to pass on one of their old pans so we could get going on a block arch outside. We built a Sugar Shack and a stove out of a 55 gallon oil drum and batch made syrup for about fifteen years giving it to family and friends. It was starting to look like none of our family had any interest in maple syrup - except eating it - and the maple syrup making in our family would end with my passing. Well Happy to say I was really wrong on that score. Two years ago - One of our Sons and Grandsons built us a 2' x 5' flow thru evaporator and also started collecting sap at their homes for us to boil (over 400 gallons this year). Another Grand-daughter and her husband picked up our old batch pan and built a block arch at their house and made some beautiful maple syrup this year and some of the other adult Grand children are getting interested and help out. Yep - from the Old Fathers side -- I can say I'm really proud of all of them and good to know they will be making their own maple long after I'm gone..... Mike

I haven't been in it that long and dad never did it till me, yet it's funny how when Dad's around everything seems to work just right. coincedence, boiling sodas or sh!t luck? Thanks Dad

I wouldn't have a shack or the sap in the bulk tank without my dad. He collects for me everyday Im at school and never complains about it. I wouldn't have a evaporator or filter press at this stage in the game either if it wasn't for my grandpa either. I won't ever be able to thank them enough!
    7,000 high vac taps
    6x16 leader evap
    2200 GPH Lapierre Turbo RO
    2400 GPH Springtech RO
    To many tanks to count

www.waysidemaplefarms.com
    http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k578/waysidemaple/

+ Reply to Thread