+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to make a moisture trap, and unstick vanes?

Thanks for the input. I will try the alcohol tomorrow and then tear it down if needed. I hope the kero hasn't done damage. Airablo says to use a diesel fuel and oil mixture to clean it out, and I have always heard that kero is pretty close to diesel, and figured that there was already some oil in it so it would be a mix. Sure hope it's OK. It's been in there for a few days now, as I have kept trying to run it and then let it soak and then run it again in hopes of getting it to free up.

well the vanes were fine, but the key that holds the shaft in the cylinder was disinigrated. It appears, as far as I can tell at the moment, that the key is the only problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know where I can get parts for this? It is a Delaval VP 76.

What does the keyway look like? I would think you can get one made. If it is not a regular key.
    Keith

It is just a basic keyway, so I think you are right, I could have one made. We have a Delaval dealer in the area, so I am going to take it in to them and see what they suggest. I just wonder what caused it to break in the first place.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Doesn't that key way run the length of the drum? As far as WHY it would break remember that liquid doesn't compress and when it enters the drum.The drum will stall immediately and the pulley and motor wont Just like a gas engine that sucks in water its all over.

Well, here's the thing, it looks like the keyway is short, but in talking to the Delaval guy today, this might be a bigger problem, not sure. It is difficult to tell on the diagram of the pump whether the shaft is supposed to be one piece or 2. It is a 2 piece now, with the pully end sliding into the drum with a keyway and key to hold it in place. It dosen't look like the shaft broke in 2 inside the drum, but the Delaval guy says he thought that model had a 1 piece shaft, but he agrees that it seems almost impossible that the shaft would have snapped in 2 inside the drum, and he says he has never seen that happen. So that's why I was wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar problem.

Just a quick clarification. I said at the beginning that it was an Airablo, cause that's what my owners manual said, but the pump itself is made by Delaval

well the shaft did break off inside the drum. The Delaval guy said it had to be a fault in the metal. But he also said that pump has not been made for well over 10 years and we bought the system new from Lapierre just 4 years ago. I realize that Lapierre didn't put the system together, Airablo did, but does anyone know if they use rebuilt pumps on these, or is there some other reason why a very old model pump would have been put on a new system?

Yeah its called use up your old inventory before you use the new inventory. I see this all the time in my line of work. The question is can you get a new shaft? If not can you get one turned at a machine shop. In all my years of servicing pumps in the printing industry never seen one bust a shaft in half. Ive seen alot of locked up pumps that stall the motors or burn up a belt or break a coupling or bust a keyway but never a shaft. Just doesnt seem possible to me. What the shaft 5/8 or 3/4 inch in diameter? Something is not right. That pump was either put together with a broken shaft by a careless employee or made that way on purpose. Either that or the kerosene you used was some potent stuff lol. Getting a new shaft shouldnt set you back too much and after 4 years there no recourse now Im afraid.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

In the world of auutomatic transmissons,anything the is inside the trans can break, I found out years ago don't be surprised by what you see ,cause everyday they break in a different way.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast