+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Vinegar question?

Default Making Vinegar question?

I had some old, cloudy left over sap(33 gallons), so I thought I'd try and turn it into Maple Vinegar. I boiled it down and I can't taste any sweet, it's kinda slimey, is this just junk or can I still make this into vinegar?

I've got it in the fermentor with raisins, camden tablets, pectic enzyme and yeast, so I'll try to remember to post updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyes Hollow Gold View Post
    I've got it in the fermentor with raisins, camden tablets, pectic enzyme and yeast, so I'll try to remember to post updates.
    Howdy --- I find it interesting that You are making Vinegar out of Sap. I have had old apple cider ferment and go hard -- and have also had apple cider form a Mother of vinegar and make some pretty good vinegar - once you have a Mother it is easy to make more Vinegar. In my case it was by accident. Is that what You are trying to do is to make a mother of vinegar in the maple sap ? or is this making a chemical change to form maple vinegar without forming a Mother ? -- Mike

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Man Im glad I go to Walmart to get my Vineger There is just to much imbreeding to get it from sap

Quote Originally Posted by Keyes Hollow Gold View Post
    If you put camden tablets and yeast in at the same time you kill off the yeast. You have to wait a few hours for the camden to dissapate before adding the yeast.

Haynes they still let you in Wally world. After the last issue I though they had your picture posted on the wall in all stores.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Im with Haynes I think I will just make syrup out of my sap. And Ken I did see the picture of Haynes in walmart by the front door. Wasnt sure it was him at first then I seen where he was holding his arm up and there was a bandage on his middle finger sticking up at me. Yep knew right then and there it was Haynes.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

DANG! -- Banned from WalMart --- Didn't think they Banned anything at The WalMart...... He must be the only person in WalMart history ever banned. - Larry - The Cable Guy will probably feature him on one of his shows...... Wonder if there is a market for Maple Vinegar at Wal-Mart? --------

Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    Howdy --- I find it interesting that You are making Vinegar out of Sap. I have had old apple cider ferment and go hard -- and have also had apple cider form a Mother of vinegar and make some pretty good vinegar - once you have a Mother it is easy to make more Vinegar. In my case it was by accident. Is that what You are trying to do is to make a mother of vinegar in the maple sap ? or is this making a chemical change to form maple vinegar without forming a Mother ? -- Mike

Trying to mother in the sap.

Quote Originally Posted by KenWP View Post
    If you put camden tablets and yeast in at the same time you kill off the yeast. You have to wait a few hours for the camden to dissapate before adding the yeast.

Haynes they still let you in Wally world. After the last issue I though they had your picture posted on the wall in all stores.

I did wait to put in the yeast. It's perculating fine

I think Keyes had the right idea making vinegar; the question is whether it's for consumption or cleaning. I had the idea to save a couple hundred gallons of sweetened sap and put it into barrels to make a vinegar for cleaning pans the next season. My neighbor runs an orchard and makes some good Apple Cider Vinegar himself. He said basically that whatever the sugar content of the sap is is what the alcohol content of the fermented brew will be which in turn is the percentage of acid in the vinegar. The yeast eats the sugar and turns it into alcohol and the acetobacter bacteria turns alcohol into acid; hence acetic acid. My only question is; is this as simple as it sounds. Take the dregs from the end of the year, put it into an old barrel and use that next year to make clean shiny pans?

Has anybody done this?
    Neil Cowhig
    Drewry Farms Maple
    ~5000 vacuum taps in 4 woods
    900gph CDL RO
    Smokey Lake 42x10 raised flue (Jim and Angela are awesome)
    2 kids under 4 (they're awesome too)
    Public accounting wife (she's really awesome)
    Tax season needs to be moved away from sap season

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast