+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mason jar bottling

Post Mason jar bottling

I have a question about bottling in Mason jars. When I finish my syrup I get it to the right brix and filter it. Then we store it till we are ready to can it. Now when we can it we get the syrup to temp then we put it in the jars and then into the water bath for 10 minutes.

Is the syrup getting over done by putting it in the water bath after getting it to temp? It is boiling a little when it comes out of the water bath.

Thanks for any input.
    BriJack

14 taps all in my yard---'08-'09
    28 taps on drop line to buckets--2010, '11, '12, '13
    Homemade Barrel Evaporator
    Still Learning and Need More Toys

If it's boiling you've gone too far.

You don't need the water bath. Use clean and sterilized jars.
    Bring the syrup up to 185-190* and bottle. Lay the jars on their side and your done.

Quote Originally Posted by BriJack View Post
    I have a question about bottling in Mason jars. When I finish my syrup I get it to the right brix and filter it. Then we store it till we are ready to can it. Now when we can it we get the syrup to temp then we put it in the jars and then into the water bath for 10 minutes.

Is the syrup getting over done by putting it in the water bath after getting it to temp? It is boiling a little when it comes out of the water bath.

Thanks for any input.
    Here is how we do it - Put Your rings and lids in a pan and cover with water and bring to a boil. Have your jars washed and filled with hot water standing in sink. Bring maple syrup up to about 195F. Dump water from jars as you need them and place in empty sauce pan (to catch spillage) fill jars with hot syrup. use tongs to grab a ring and lid from pan (no longer necessary to have boiling) and tighten on jar. The water bath method isn't needed for maple syrup -- But _ like everything else - some folks think it is --- Mike

Have heard of Folks laying their jars on there sides -- have never done this - as a bit timid with hot syrup. Very rarely do we have a jar that dosen't seal or looses seal later. Is the jar on the side method better? -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    Have heard of Folks laying their jars on there sides -- have never done this - as a bit timid with hot syrup. Very rarely do we have a jar that dosen't seal or looses seal later. Is the jar on the side method better? -- Mike
    The reason to lay the jar on the side is just to kill any bacteria that may be lingering on the cap. It really doesnt need to be laid on the side rather just tilting the jar on its side for a few seconds is all that is needed.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

I put 16 gallons in jars this year.... I finished on my gas camping stove and filtered. I filled the jars up as much as I would, then put the lid on and stood them upside down for a few min to kill anything on the lid. Then stood them upright and waited for them to cool down so they would seal. I only had 3 that would not seal out of all the jars. I fixed that problem by making french toast
    2011-73 taps, Barrel evaporator, Made 16 Gallons, http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/palmer4th/
    2012-100-120 taps, flat pan 2x6 http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/...Sugar%20Shack/
    2013- 150 taps, added blower http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amlowhYM0as

The water bath processing isn't really necessary. In all the info I've read about maple syrup bottling from national, state, and university maple resources, water bath canning is never mentioned. If it sets your mind more at ease then go for it, but imho making syrup of proper density is probably most important since sugar in high concentration is itelf a preservative.

Personally, for my own peace of mind in reusing jars, I wash and sterilize them in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Most good sources recommend bottling at 180-185F leaving as little headspace as possible, about 1/4 inch, and to lay the bottles on their sides to sterilize the cap. There will be some volume loss on cooling so don't be afraid to really fill them.

a good resource from the university of Maine is here:
    http://umaine.edu/publications/7038e/

hope that helps

I have been filling mason jars with syrup for six years. I fill them, then immediately turn them upside down for 5 min. or so. Never had a jar not seal, never had one spoil. Some are 4 yrs old. Did have one jar break. I think it was an old one that must have had a weakness. Also, as I fill the jars, I leave 4-6" of space around them so they cool faster. Supposed to help with the color. I would think waterbathing would have the opposite effect, making for darker syrup.

I am liking this idea now. what sizes do these mason jars come in and how do they compare cost wise to the plastic jugs etc. Never used any of them.
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
    I am liking this idea now. what sizes do these mason jars come in and how do they compare cost wise to the plastic jugs etc. Never used any of them.

They come in a bunch of sizes from 4 and 8 oz jelly jars up to 2 quart size. You should be able to find 8, 16 and 32 oz ones just about everywhere they sell seasonal canning supplies, including walmart and grocery stores. Caps and lids can be purchased separately.

Price is probably about the same as plastic or a little cheaper because you'll save on shipping. They can also be picked up sometimes on clearance at the end of summer. They are also a common item at yard sales, usually for next to nothing- check the mouths for chips that would make them unusable. New caps and lids can be bought anywhere they sell canning supplies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast