+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mainline tubing reel

Default Mainline tubing reel

I have about 600 feet of 3/4 mainline that I am going to have put up and take down at the end of the season. Is there something I can build to make this easier?

Marty
    Just over 2000 taps
    30x8 Leader Max flue with cross flow pans and homemade reverse oil fired arch

www.facebook.com/JourneysEndMapleFarm/

try getting a wire spool that is big diameter and make a stand that supports it to wind up and make a means to hold it from turning when you want. These spools are either free or next to nothing from large elec supply houses. If you keep it dry and periodically tighten the thru bolts that hold it together it will last forever. Don't get one with a cardboard core you need wood.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Marty
    Just wondering why you need to take down? Is it an area where you can raise it? I have seen people who raise their mainline up to 7-8 feet in the off season so you can go under it with no problem. If you need to drive under it raise it even more. Just a thought. Otherwise just like maple flats said rig up a spool. I have one that I set up to use when unwinding wire or mainline.
    Keith

The owner where I am going to tap is putting in a Lawn Frisbie course!? Sort of like a golf course except you throw frisbies. Whatever. So all the lines I put up will need to be taken down so as not get in the way. I thought of the big reel idea, but there are a couple of stonewalls that need to be crossed.

Marty
    Just over 2000 taps
    30x8 Leader Max flue with cross flow pans and homemade reverse oil fired arch

www.facebook.com/JourneysEndMapleFarm/

I also have an adjustable spool the is used for wire that I bought at TSC, I think it was under $30 if I remember. It has a spining center point with 4 angle iton arms that hold the wire with each arm having a 3/8" rod bent short of 90 degrees for containing the coil of wire. It is adjustable for diameter of the wire coil up to maybe 2' diam.the whole thing spins on a 3/4" rod that sticks into the ground. I made an adapter out of plywood and 2 x 4's so that it mounts on a handtruck for moving and dispensing (high tensel 12.5 ga in a 4000' coil is too heavy to want to carry very far) One like it could be made to hold mainline in a little bigger wound diameter by drilling some holes in the four angle iron arms to move the spool winding parts and maybe add some longer pcs of angle iron or you could make something like it from angle iron or black iron pipe with the spin point being a piece of maybe 1" blk iron and an axel just under that size to spin on. Maybe even make it to mount on a tractor or ATV if you have one or build it with wheels like a hand truck, use plank or those new aluminum ramps to cross the stonewalls if needed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Marty,

Seems to me you could get one of the medium size wooden spools and build a 3 point hitch support for it. What I mean is like a piece of heavy duty steel pipe with maybe some bolts going thru it to keep it centered on the pipe and a couple of category one pins welded onto each end. This would help raise it up in the air some and would make it easy to spool it on. End of the year, unhook it in storage and then hook it up next year and just spool it out into the woods off of the three point hitch.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Marty - If you're going up to Goodrich's boiling seminar this Sat., take a look at one that Glenn made up. Seems to work pretty slick and I'm sure he'd give you any and all info to make your own.
    Lance

Lookin' to get educated.
    Waterbury, VT

+ Reply to Thread