+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: infrared maps

The IR imagery commonly available is usually not taken at a large enough scale (better pixel resolution) to identify tree species. That kind of IR photography is usually done for smaller custom projects such as for a particular forestry company and so forth. Typically your entire state IR imagery will not be helpful, nor will it be the raw IR imagery.
    2011 and prior
    40+ gravity
    transport to a friends evap
    borrowed 4 wheeler as a mule

40 Gravity (buckets and main line tubing)
    Boil over open oan
    Borrowed 4-wheeler as a mule

50+ taps
    2X3 Evap from A&A Metal Shop
    Barn built from pallets
    borrowed 4-wheeler.

I will be testing IR photography using quadrocopters (UAV's). I will let you know what we end up with. Maybe we could help you with high resolution IR imagery very soon!
    2011 and prior
    40+ gravity
    transport to a friends evap
    borrowed 4 wheeler as a mule

40 Gravity (buckets and main line tubing)
    Boil over open oan
    Borrowed 4-wheeler as a mule

50+ taps
    2X3 Evap from A&A Metal Shop
    Barn built from pallets
    borrowed 4-wheeler.

Has anybody had any success with this since originally posted? I was thinking about trying to do the same to locate maple bushes and then contact land owners in the area I'm looking. Some of the land holdings in the area are not road side, so drive-by's won't always tell me. Anybody good at locating maple stands by using google earth? I'm not great at it, but would describe the maple foliage as looking like a head of broccoli as compared to others woods.
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

The last 2 times Google earth updated the imagery in my area was just at the time in the spring when the maples were that chartreuse? green and most other hardwoods were still looking dormant. You can pick out a tree or a bush a mile away. You could look at Bing maps also.
    Last edited by madmapler; 12-12-2016 at 02:12 PM.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2015- 1000gph memtek RO, 3250 Taps, 1200 gallons

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

2017- 2400gph. Lapierre RO, 10" filter press, 5000 taps

I'd first zero-in on areas with slope if your plan is to use tubing. THEN, discern species of trees.

Not to get too technical, but IR imagery is really only good for decerning between veg and non-veg or measuring relative plant health, in this particular situation. To differentiate between species of trees hyperspecral imagery is needed, which even with the high tech satellites we have today, do not give enough resolution to make a decent comparison between species or trees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12