+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: infrared maps

Default infrared maps

I am looking for a source for infrared maps of the forest within a 20 mile radius of my Saphouse in the Catskills. I hope to be able to pin point maple groves around me so I can approach land owners and the NY DEP about leasing the trees. I know that each species of tree gives off a different infrared signature so I know there must be a way. Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Millbrook Maple
    Catskill Mountains
    Saphouse - Somewhere in witness protection area.
    2.5 X 8 Smoky Lake pans on grimm oil fired arch
    RO - Ecochem with 2 codeline vessels and 2 MES vessels.
    2000-3000 Taps depends on the season.
    Always looking for more sap!

I have heard of something like this but no idea where to find it. I think the Feds use it to find pot plants. Maybe they can help? LOL
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by MillbrookMaple View Post
    I know that each species of tree gives off a different infrared signature so I know there must be a way. Any direction would be appreciated.
    There isn't as much IR aerial photography done these days since satellites do pretty much the same thing.

The difference in IR signature between a maple and another hardwood stand would be very subtle. This would be especially the case in mixed stands. The difference between conifers and hardwoods is greater. Without a lot of training, calibration, and ground truthing, it probably isn't a real useful approach to finding nearby maple stands.

Your best bet would be to go and chat with the local state or county forester and see if they can clue you in to where some possible nearby stands for maple production might be.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

If you ride around right now they are pretty easy to see on the hills. For a little longer they show up as a light gray color. The only other tree that looks similar is the white oak. I can go out doors right now and see the light gray splotches on the side of Mount Grant and they are maples.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll check with some of the local forestry guys. I can also check with the DEP and DEC and DMV. Just kidding about the last one. Seems here in the Catskills we have a lot of people interested in what people are doing with their land like where you can spread your cow manure and where your RO permeate ends up. I guess I might be able to see if they might be helpfull.
    Millbrook Maple
    Catskill Mountains
    Saphouse - Somewhere in witness protection area.
    2.5 X 8 Smoky Lake pans on grimm oil fired arch
    RO - Ecochem with 2 codeline vessels and 2 MES vessels.
    2000-3000 Taps depends on the season.
    Always looking for more sap!

Default Talk to local folks

I'd suggest visiting some local folks on a Saturday afternoon and talk to some families that have been there for a long time. Many hunters have seen sugar maple stands and may be able to give you some insight on who to talk to. Anyway you'll probably meet some nice people that will be good publicity for being a responsible sugarmaker. I'm a Land Surveyor and I've been spotting maple stands for years, NONE of which I have forgotten! Good Luck.
    2' x 4' W. F. Mason Hobby Evaporator
    14' x 20' Sugar House
    170 buckets for 2014
    Tractors, ATV's & Kid Power
    8+ Dairy Goats, dozen hens, beef

BLOG: http://juniperhillfarmer.blogspot.com/

like 802 said, a ride around especially right now when they are in bloom. they're really easy to spot before the leaves are out. Their flowers have a very distinct shade of green.

Dr Tim is right. I have an Infrared map of my property. It was included in my forest Stewardship plan. The local State forester worked with me to develope the plan and it included an infrared map. Check the state forester who handles your area. He may have such maps. When you get it the reds are evergreens and they will show well, the hardwoods will not show any idea what species they are. I would ask around and drive the roads. Get to know sugar maples from a distance. I can usually spot a sugar woods from a fair distance but then you will need to do the leg work to get a feel for how good it might be. If you check after leave turn in the fall you will see better but then you have far less time to make the arrangements. Try an ad in your local paper or pennysaver. You just might find one.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I wish you the best of luck getting anywhere with the state and the DEC for getting any type of permission to tap a tree on state land. Been down this path for several years on 2 different sections of land. 1 section I own and pay taxes on but the state put a fishermans easement from the river bank to 200 feet back in the woods, Why a fisherman needs 200 feet to walk along a river is beyond me, and the other section is state land that borders mine that has zero access to for the public. The response after talking to a dozen state empoyees including the state forester, the DEC and some polotitians is, well to sum it up is it a process of paper work that will take years to complete to allow me to tap and it would open that land up to anyone who wants to put a tap a tree on it and in the mean time no way. Now after a couple years now the paper work still has not been submitted as they claim they have alot more pressing issues to take care of first. You know like sit in Albany deadlocked for 2 weekends figureing out what the state vegetable should be and then again for the state dog. Until and if Cuomo pushes the tapping bill through I wouldnt waste my time. Oh I might add that it was presented to me that if I do ever get permission that no tubing would be allowed only traditional buckets so it does not restrict wildlife movement and human access.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

MillbrookMaple

NYS has an yearly orthoimagery program where they fly sections of the state every year. This imagery has been done in the past with CIR (Color infra red). Fulton County has CIR from 2003 I beleive. Today they fly mostly in true color. CIR film is more expensive.

You can goto http://www.nysgis.state.ny.us/gateway/mg/ to view all of the imagery in NYS. IT is a great service to your county. All of the imagery is downloadable, and used primarily in GIS systems.
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast