+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is some kind of record I think for early tapping

wanabe Guest

Im going crazy here, the weather after tuesday looks perfect for sap to run, but it seems so darn early. Im off for the next 4 days so I think im going to get stuff ready. Tomorrow Im going to get my lines up that I take down for summer and get some tanks and buckets cleaned. Monday and tues we are supposed to get a Noreaster not sure if rain or snow so maybe I can get my pans rinsed and hooked up. If the forecast still looks the same tues I may tap Wed at least partly. I normally dont tap until the 3rd week of Feb but this is not a normal year.

Jeff

Spoke to to guy yesterday in East Rochester ,NY , said he'd made a couple gallons on his secound boil. Seems pretty early.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous

I was considering tapping this week because the tempretures seemed right. But, I thought it was just WAY too early.

Now, I don't know what to do?
    The quote above was me -- I guess I forgot to sign in.

I ended up tapping 4 trees yesterday and got about 3.5 gallons of sap so far. They're all flowing pretty good except for one.

I think it was (or gor close to) 60 degrees today.

Strange weather. It's gonna get cold again...right?
    New York, NY
    6 taps: #4 Grims - Collection: 6 - 5 gal. Spackle Buckets - Storage: 30 gallon plastic garbage cans
    (you can stop laughing now)

wanabe Guest

Well I probably shot myself in the foot today but I put 100 taps in. Its seems the weather is going to be pretty good for the next 10 days or so. I was done tapping at my parents house by 1:00pm and call just about dark and had pulled in about 40 gallons not to bad but we did not even get a freeze last night. Next 7 days or so are forecasted for Hi 30s and low 20s may put in a few of the buckets around my house tomarrow but think I may wait until wed to do the the last 200 on line.

I put in two test taps Friday 1/27 one in a 20" tree and one in a 10" tree,
    the large tree running at 90 drips a min, 2 gals a day 2.7 %. The smaller tree about a quart a day @ 1.6%. I might get out my first pan this weekend and do a small open fire boil, just like old days. (4 years ago for me).

John
    John

60-70 Taps
    2x6 Homemade evaporator w/wheels
    A little tequila for sipping
    And a very sticky kitchen in March

Website http://flickr.com/photos/57535094@N0...7601539320490/

wanabe Guest

Hi Guys, Got the 100 taps in on Mon at my parents pulled 40 gallons on Mon 70 on tues and there running good today maybe 70 or so today if the the wind stays away. Tonight is supposed to be 25 and 40 tomarrow so Im hoping for 100 or so gallons tomarrow. Im holding off on the 250 taps left to go because it looks like Feb may get cold. Well at any rate should be able to boil Sat if I have 250 to 300 gallons.

JIMBO Guest

WLL IT TOOK 3 DAYS BUT I FINISHED TAPPING 2DA
    I PLUGGED IN AT 1 AND AT 6 IHAD ABOUT 1200 GALLON
    IGOT BACK TO WASH MY RO AND BLEW A HOSE IN BACK
    WELL I GUESS THAT WILL MAKE TOMORROW A LIIYLE LONGE

3000 TAPS
    450 RO
    TOOSMALL OF AN EVAPORATOR

JIMBO Guest

I JUST FINISHED BOILING
    IT TOOK 4 DAYS TO DO BUT IGOT ALL 7OOO GALLONS DONE
    THANK GOD FOR OSMOSIS AND SOME GOOD FRIENDS