+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many taps in these trees ?

Default How many taps in these trees ?

I just talked to a friend who has two big maples in his front yard.
    He's gonna have them cut down in a couple months and told me to go tap them if I wanted to.

They are about 30" diameter trees, Do I just drill holes until I'm out of taps or is there a pointof diminishing return on the # of taps to get the most out of these doomed trees.

The trees are going to end up being destroyed because of a road widening project, He's not just cutting them down on a whim.

Quick replies are appreciated as I'm gonna tap them in an hour or so

Thanks

its all a point of demminishing returns when it comes to multiple taps in a tree. IE 2 taps do not double the sap production over 1 tap. but you do get more than from 1. taken to the extreme I have no idea. As I have never done that. but then I have never tapped a tree I knew was going to be taken down in a couple months. heck put 4 on each and see what happens
    or whack a couple big branches off and catch what runs out, might be even greater production.

In this case I think I might put in 6 if the trees are hidden from the road and 3 if they can be seen from the road. My reasoning, those going by do not know the trees are to be removed and you could get a reputation of over tapping and killing the trees. Things like this are hard to keep from being peoples perception and it could cost you other tapping potential in the future. IMHO
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

No matter how many taps you put in you can't do any more harm than is already planned.
    Homemade 2X4 w/Flat Pan
    50 taps....but always looking to expand
    Mostly box elders with a scattering of red, silver, & sugar maples
    Allis Chalmers C & Homemade Sap Sled

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    In this case I think I might put in 6 if the trees are hidden from the road and 3 if they can be seen from the road. My reasoning, those going by do not know the trees are to be removed and you could get a reputation of over tapping and killing the trees. Things like this are hard to keep from being peoples perception and it could cost you other tapping potential in the future. IMHO
    good point, perception management is a real thing.
    You could have idiots thinking the tapper killed the trees even after the road gets widened and it is obvious they had to come out

Or you could put in like 5 taps in one and 10 in the other, and report back to us on your findings of the sap per taphole. Obviously the statistical sample of trees will be too small to derive any "certain" results, but still, this could be a good MapleTrader experiment!
    Dan
    -15 years sugaring and counting - hoping to create a tradition my kids will always remember
    -400 taps, mostly buckets (Silver Maples + a few Boxelders just for the heck of it)
    -Custom-built 2x6 evap with Smoky Lake Maple raised flue, boiling in dad's old farm granary, now converted to sugar shack
    -Cobbled-together RO with XLE4040 membrane
    -New in 2021: experimenting with 3/16 tubing & a Shurflo pump.

Im in the same opinion of others perception. As far as reality, if you put to many holes the pressure will be decreased. So you may not really got more sap out of more holes. If you have a modest amount of taps the pressure will be greater hence probably the same amout of sap.
    City slicker maple/maple arraingement: SELLING EVERYTHING

you could put 2 taps in each... 2 inch hose barbs and suck on them with a honeywagon ROF

Thanks for the replies

I put 4 in each tree

As It usually goes , it sounded too good to be true.

The trees were in tough shape with large scars and partial deadness.

His neighbor sure had a nice one, but that's not getting removed.

We'll see what happens.

I was just curious of how these trees were producing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast