+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Please !

Default Help Please !

ok the sap is running hard and I'm getting ready to fire up ,holding Tanks allmost full and with a better look into my divided syrup pan the two closes to draw off has a complete tan color on bottom of pan ,some ruffness, but no black areas ?So this is my first year on this unit ,(was a panner for years), and now I'm not sure if I should clean the pan ??? My syrup is getting darker, but no burnt taste, just alittle more maple flavor (now@ about 20 gal.) to clean or not to clean that is my question?? thank you all ,this is a great place to learn !!!
    2009 50 taps,outside barrow stove, 2 1/2 gals
    2010 75 taps 12x12 w/upstairs Scrap made sugar shack,barrow stove 4 1/2 gals
    2011 200+ taps,tubeing gravty feed shack,scrap oil/wood furnace homemade into a 2x6 arch upstairs holding tank and a new pump(thanks to my son Brian)Sap&wood hauler-4 g-kids model A front end,fram, spoked rims, and a tractor trailer rearend (just don't get in her way), lol, speaking of that,she now thinks "I've gone over the edge",that is (otherhaft) Total 35 gals.

Sorry ,I should have mentioned maybe that this is a welded SS pan
    2011 200+ taps,tubeing gravty feed shack,scrap oil/wood furnace homemade into a 2x6 arch upstairs holding tank and a new pump(thanks to my son Brian)Sap&wood hauler-4 g-kids model A front end,fram, spoked rims, and a tractor trailer rearend (just don't get in her way), lol, speaking of that,she now thinks "I've gone over the edge",that is (otherhaft) Total 35 gals.

I took advantage of this cold spell and no sap to can all the syrup I had so far and clean up the evaporator. I would have cleaned before the sap started running hard like it is now.
    First year 2009
    18 taps on 12 trees
    boiled in 3 gal. pot on electric stove in garage
    111 taps on 93 trees
    boiling in 200 gal. stainless tank, wood fire
    3 sided sugar shack

Clean it! That build up will eventually get scaley and you can get scortching under them. It also drops your syrup quality.
    Jeff Emerson
    www.emersonsmaplehill.com
    3x12 Leader with over air, custom piggyback, 600gph CDL RO
    2500 on 25" vacuum
    350 4 wheeler, 500 snowmobile, and 1950's Ford 600 tractor, Husqvarna! (261, 372xpBigBore, 562xp), Stihl MS193 for in tree work

Default Thanks Jeff

"Clean it! That build up will eventually get scaley and you can get scortching under them. It also drops your syrup quality. "
    Thanks Jeff ,Just what I wanted to hear "not" but I've drained the syrup and cleaned it all up but THAT SPOT and oh boy, got any elbow grease !lol .. heared on here"not to use 00 steel wool" -unless you acid wash after (cause rust) ok ,and that vinger works in days (That I don't have,) Any one with ideas ? I do have acid tank wash and viniger???? Also why did this happen ? going to try to put a vidio on u tube for the not to do !!! Thanks again Jeff for the info ,hope all is going well for you !

It happens to everybody. If it's not burnt (black) you can boil on it if you don't have time to clean. Quickest cleaner is acid, but that still takes time, and then rinse, rinse, rinse.
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

Default Thank Danno

I'm in the process of clean it now ,till I get it done,but did get it on you-tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wH89hqVhiU ..... but any Ideas why it did this ? or how not to do it again ...Thankyou again

sugar ed,
    Looks almost like pan was scorched? That darker brown looks a lot like scorch? Waht was the syrup grade you were making? That looks like it will take some elbow grease to remove. Yea vinegar solution might not help much on that.
    How deep were you boiling?
    By the way that is a very nice looking pan.
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Default Thankyou again for all the help !

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    sugar ed,
    Looks almost like pan was scorched? That darker brown looks a lot like scorch? Waht was the syrup grade you were making? That looks like it will take some elbow grease to remove. Yea vinegar solution might not help much on that.
    How deep were you boiling?
    By the way that is a very nice looking pan.
    Chris
    Hi Sugarmaker, It was light until about 20 gallons drawn off, the last 4 gallons has been getting darker ??? I've been keeping at about 1 1/2 inches down to about 1 inch ,and is when I get the best runs/draw offs ...but I have been finnishing in that pan (66 percent) mabe I should draw off sooner ? Oh and thank you (on the like my pan) as Curt Shaw of CNY ,Made it for me in a very short order, like the day before my first boil ,He dose do nice work !!!And I almost didn't clean it to day ,but it now looks new again ,spotless ,and to thing I was crying like a baby about it and with all your help and verry little elbow grease !! I will say I did try the scrubby pads, way to long ,lol and than the oo steel wool ,, what a laugh ,"Thinking got to use acid anyway " BUT after about an hour!! I broke out the acid (Leader pan cleaner) and at first nothing and with about two mins of heat, the SH_t desolved like melting butter, so now I know ,,, ok I did flush well well well than use baking soda and flushed again and again ... think I'm ready for tomarrow ,what a day for sapping it has been, 1230 I'm just done with dumping the pails again and the taps are still poreing that sweet juice !!got to love it !!

Default Still racking this brain of mine, WHY

Could the build up, under the pan, in the fire box,cause scorching /browning inside bottom of pan ? The bottom has about 1/4 to 3/8 inch sute/black sh_t stuck to it ...should this be brushed off once in a while ? never had this trouble with the barrow stove ,but than again never made 20 gallons in 3 -10 hour shifts,ether, 30 hours total with inclueding start up/fire up time and cool off time, after 4 to 6 hours (heating fire brick )the thing eats sap,lol,at 7 hours had to cool off before sap ran out ,would flood pan after, not adding wood and no coals and the next day the whole pan was syrup ,the fist time it was to the point of thick hunny in two of the three partistions, Goldin sweet candy That was to close for me !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast