+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: To throw ice away or not ?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Wardner in Tewksbury View Post
    I see no reason why I should save solid ice unless the weather forecast and my schedule indicate sap spoiling conditions.
    Like many things, it depends upon your personal situation. If you have an RO, saving the ice means no loss of sugar. If anyone with an RO was passing 0.7 brix sap in the permeate, they'd be rather unhappy about it.

If you don't use RO, but have lots of evaporator capacity, saving the ice is also OK, as you don't lose any sugar that way.

If you have too many taps for your evaporator, or not enough time to boil, tossing the solid ice makes sense.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

[QUOTE=DrTimPerkins;147394 If anyone with an RO was passing 0.7 brix sap in the permeate, they'd be rather unhappy about it.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, they would be unhappy about it, but I bet they wouldn't save and boil it!

I agree. Depends on circumstances. For the small operator on a block arch it can be a tremendous deal
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Well I took about a dozen completely frozen buckets and dumped them into a collection barrel yesterday and if they unthaw and I get caught up I will boil them but I am heading back up there now and will boil right thru the weekend and I expect the trees to be gushing doubt that ice will ever get boiled
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post

If you don't use RO, but have lots of evaporator capacity, saving the ice is also OK, as you don't lose any sugar that way.
    I'd certainly be willing to lose the 0.7 sugar ice. From an economic perspective, who can make money reducing that? That's like ice burning a hole in your pocket considering the time and fuel. You'd be better off buying good sap (2.5 to 3.5) to replace the wasted sugar, or, setting up a few more taps.

I tested more than twenty trees this year. My average has been over 3% until the last few days. Why chase diminishing returns?

It's like scrapping metal. Why go to the trouble and expense when prices are low? There will be better days.

Although, this is off topic, I don't see why people don't ream tap holes. It doesn't take much time and, as far as I can see, the results are spectacular and well worth the effort. Several test taps have gone from zero to 1.5 gallons per day. Of course it makes more sense if you are using buckets and each tree can be monitored. I'm not sure yet, but maybe two reamings may be necessary. It will depend on quality of sap. That increase of sap volume will certainly offset any "wasted" sugar/ice many times over.
    Last edited by Wardner in Tewksbury; 03-30-2011 at 10:38 AM.

We are in an area where there are times the sap freezes completely. How would you handle that, throwing out the ice seems to be throwing out the sugar content too. Should we wait until it's half thawed? Or something else.

Hey steve J how did your season turn out ? I am pulling taps this Sat, amazing run from me, I need to upgrade the barrel a bit for next year
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456