+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: To throw ice away or not ?

Smile saving the ice

my first boil was 55 gallons and and yielded 154 oz's of syrup.Saturday I boiled what sap that I could collect that was not frozen and had 25 gallons and yielded 112 oz's of syrup and boiled it in half the time.As a small back yarder I will not boil the ice.However if it gets warm then the ice is welcome to keep the sap cold.Just my 2 cents.
    homemade barrel evaporator 2 x 4 divided flat pan 40 taps 10 x 8 sap house hood and pre heater

Were are you in middlesex? I am at the end of Notch road on the left just after the fish and wildlife parking lot. The roads have not been to bad yet but center road is interesting and by end of week I suspect its going to be down right nasty
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Quote Originally Posted by seclark View Post
    my first boil was 55 gallons and and yielded 154 oz's of syrup.Saturday I boiled what sap that I could collect that was not frozen and had 25 gallons and yielded 112 oz's of syrup and boiled it in half the time.As a small back yarder I will not boil the ice.However if it gets warm then the ice is welcome to keep the sap cold.Just my 2 cents.
    WOW!!! 112oz out of 25 gallons? I consider 48oz from 25 gallons to be real good after filtering and all! What's your secret?

John c.

The secret is throwing out the ice!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Smile john c.

I guess the poor mans ro with the ice helped but I was surprised to get that much myself.Maybe I got super maples this year. but last year wasn't this good.Maybe the next boil will bring me down to earth.
    homemade barrel evaporator 2 x 4 divided flat pan 40 taps 10 x 8 sap house hood and pre heater

Quote Originally Posted by seclark View Post
    I guess the poor mans ro with the ice helped but I was surprised to get that much myself.Maybe I got super maples this year. but last year wasn't this good.Maybe the next boil will bring me down to earth.
    I use to throw my ice out on the ground until a fellow Sapper saw me do it and corrected my evil ways by testing it and it turned out to be 2%!

If it's a little ice on top I'd dump it. If its more than just a coating I would let it melt and use it. Sap will freeze so if it's a couple of inches thick you will lose some sugar if you toss it. Collect some of the ice and let it melt in a bucket inside then check it with a sap hydrometer to see what percent sugar is in it.
    Gary in NH

46 taps with buckets, a small homemade RO , two propane fired burners with two stainless steel restaurant pans for pre-heater and evaporator.

I have a digital maple sap refractometer. I tested a small piece of 1/4" thick sap ice this morning. It came in at 0.4%. At this point in the season, normal sap from this particular sugar maple is around 2.6% and that's what I got several hours later. That's six and one half times better than sap ice. I see no point in keeping thin ice. It can't even absorb alot of heat.

So consensus is thin ice out, frozen solid keep ? I can go with that. Shortening boiling times is always a good thing

More sap coming this week, so time to get my storage tanks empty !

at the beginning of Notch... waiting for Center road to grow some Volkswagens out of the mud...
    31 Taps in 2011 with buckets, Barrel evap
    45+ Taps for 2012 with buckets, 2x5 Dryer Arch with steel pans ! 8x11 Sugar Shack, Dump Stations,
    60 Taps for 2013- Insulated Dryer arch, AUF,
    2014 watched from sidelines...
    70 Taps for 2015 - dryer arch, new 2x5 divided pan from Smokey Lake with a float box !
    70 Taps for 2016 - added a preheater and new grates for the Dryerator.
    80 Taps for 2018 - Dryer arch got new front and door

Oh I think I have seen your buckets they sit on the steep of the bank . Your house is down near the pond? I am the log cabin at the end of the road just pass the fish and wildlife area
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast