+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Start Up Question

Default Start Up Question

I just shut down after 10 hours after boiling. I boiled 107 gallons of sap and am left with about an inch in my pan with is about 5 gallons. I have a 2x4 divided and was wondering what you pros thought. I never blocked off the dividers cause my original plan was to just finish on the turkey fryer in the morning. I was about to go to bed and I thought why couldnt I just add the sap I get tomorrow ( I am planning on about 40 gal ) to my pan and start my evaporator up again for another 4 or 5 hours. Would this be a better route or just finish what I have tomorrow and boil again in a couple days. I have my pan set up as a continuous flow but havent got to actully do a good flow because not enought sap.

Yes just keep adding and boiling all season once you get it boiled it wont spoil. Once your done for season drain out and finish and clean evap

If you add the new sap to your pan with whats left in there you are going to end up with darker syrup. Did I read your post right? If you don't care than have at it. Good luck!
    John

2 x 8 custom arch, custom raised flue pan, AOF/AUF, custom auto draw off and other automation
    400 taps (buckets and tubing)
    18 x 24 timber frame shack
    Two daughters that are a LOT of help
    Greyhound that drinks sap (and has gas)
    2011 Gator 825 XUV with 100 gallon tank
    5 275 gallon IBC totes for storage

Generally we tend to finish each batch rather than leaving a pan full vs darker sap from subsequent boils.
    But we are only able to boil weekends this year since our shack is 150 miles from home, so I am interested to learn from these posts.
    If the squirrels eat the tubing and raw sap, do critters head for a full pan of syrup??
    It would be a shame to leave a batch only to have to filter out Mickey Mouse and a few of his buddies....

+ Reply to Thread