+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Homemade RO

I built the same one. Is filter housing filling with water? Sounds like it may not be plumbed right. Can you post a pic of it? plumbing is simple but one connection out of place and it will throw everything off
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

thanks for the reply, I will post a photo tomorrow, I think my membranes are not seated properly. From what I have seen on u tube it seems that the plastic nipple on the top of the membrane should be flush with the top of the bottom housing, mine are not and I cannot push them in any further. I believe that are applied membranes.

It turns out that they sent me housings that were not compatible with the 150gpd membranes.

Sorry to hear you are having problems but glad you figured it out. I wish there was a local place to pick up the materials instead of having to order all online because sometimes you get the wrong things sent.
    2' x 3' backyard evaporator with homemade steam hood
    38.5 gallons produced in 2022
    120 taps all on 3/16" tubing
    4" x 40" homemade RO built for 2023
    https://sites.google.com/view/mattat...aplesyrup/home

I saw your ro that you built and I like it . how did it work ? . I'm trying to build one this summer , but I'm going to make it run on gas . any pointers ?

sorry have not been on the site in a while. Running it on gas I am not too sure about how to do - only thing I can think of is hooking it up to a generator or a deep cycle battery - like ones used for electric trolling motors?
    2' x 3' backyard evaporator with homemade steam hood
    38.5 gallons produced in 2022
    120 taps all on 3/16" tubing
    4" x 40" homemade RO built for 2023
    https://sites.google.com/view/mattat...aplesyrup/home

Built a system last year from Brets diagram and parts list, and we are very impressed! Cut our boil times way down, actually got some sleep lol!! Not changing a thing for this year except will probably have a new set of membranes on hand just in case the originals go belly up halfway thru season. We dont have power at our shack other than a generator which I hate to hear run, so we are using deep-cycle !2 volt batteries, running an inverter to take it to 110 VAC, then a transformer takes it back down to 24VAC. We have solar panels to charge the batteries back up. Works pretty slick. Thanks again Bret for all the info. Ready for winter now!!!

Way back when I started this thread, I spoke to an engineer at Aquatec and he told me you can actually run the Aquatec 8800 on 24VDC. It doesn't need to be AC because it has internal rectification anyway. So next season, you can just connect two 12V batteries in series. It doesn't get any simpler than that!
    Boulder Trail Sugaring
    150 Taps on Vacuum
    Homemade 20"x40" Hybrid Pan - 15 gph
    Homemade Steamaway - 10 gph
    Waterguys single-post RO

Hey thanks! Yes that will make it even simpler

Quote Originally Posted by hodorskib View Post
    Good question I do not know enough about the 400gpd membranes other than the cost being 150 dollars each? I found the 150gpd membranes for 28 each so that is what I went with. The aquatech pump runs the 4 that I have in series keeping 120psi throughout so it may be possible. I am interested in seeing what others may think? Please post if you give it a whirl. I just set everything up and it looks like we will be in full swing here in CT later in the week with temps approaching 50.
    For next season I am going to try this with the 400GPD membranes and see how it goes. I'm wondering about the setup though. You have them in series and I'm wondering about setting them up in parallel. Being new to the whole process I'm trying to understand this a little more. With one membrane 400GPD should yield about 16GPH, correct? I know that is somewhat reduced with the temperature of the sap. If the membranes are in parallel, does that mean that would increase the output to 32GPH?

Another thing that I'm wondering about is the pressure. The Aquatec pump is capable of 150PSI but if the output is going to two membranes, would pressure be effectively lowered to 75PSI?
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast