+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage Tank Cleaning

Default Storage Tank Cleaning

What does everyone use to clean a new storage tank for sap storage?
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Please take the first half of this post to be in good fun....
    putting a plan into ACTION means actually taking action towards the goal.
    not just more planning!
    and ya got to have a tank that needs cleaning
    now:
    I pressure wash and scrub. then I wash and bleach the container. then triple rinse with hot water, IF it is going directly into service.
    If I pick up containers, lets say right now with the sason over here. I would do all of the above except just use a single cold rinse as I am not as worried about carryover of bleach into my sap (they will still get done again before the season starts anyway)
    I went and loaded up on 55 gal used food drums once that looked and smelled clean. when I pulled them out at the start of the season to get going. I just used them for garbage cans and got new, new to me drums. they had so much funk growing in them that even a strong bleach mix would not get rid of it. the mold or whatever seemed to be impregnated into the plastic.
    Last edited by Kev; 03-23-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Is it plastic or SS. I once just rinsed a new plastic tank but it turned some nice med amber into Commercial, because of an off taste. Wash it with a cleanser (like dawn), rinse 3x, then use a good saintiser, and rinse 3 more times. Then you are good. It works best if you get a milk bulk tank cleaning brush. They do a great job. Good luck.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Not sure if it's the right way but with our new 940 gallon Lapierre tank we washed it down with just water. Then we scrubbed it down with baking soda and water. Then we hosed it down a couple more times with water. During the season we've been scrubbing it down with bleach and water and then hosing it down 4 or 5 times.

so how do you clean one of those 125 gallon tanks from Tractor Supply, the plastic ones? Only has like a 12" dia hole at the top? IF we cant use galvanized stock tanks etc that are all open on the top, how do you clean the **** things
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

put some water in, then take a bulk tank brush (long handled) and scrub away. slosh the water around with the brush too
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

UOTE=adk1;145386]so how do you clean one of those 125 gallon tanks from Tractor Supply, the plastic ones? Only has like a 12" dia hole at the top? IF we cant use galvanized stock tanks etc that are all open on the top, how do you clean the **** things[/QUOTE]

a long handled brush
    thats one of the reasons I am fond of the 55 gal drums and homemade lids
    I cut out the top leaving about a 2 1/2 inch ring of the top intact. for both strenght and as a anti slosh device for when I am hauling them in the truck.
    some barrells are better than others. the ones that taper some at the top and bottom are perfect. you can cut a barrell apart about 8 inches down from the top and again the same from the bottom that gives you two "lids"
    that slip down over the outside of the top of barrells and wedge on. plus they are easy to reach inside and scrub. plus I get them for free
    and yes they are food grade

man I love getting heckled on this site
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
    so how do you clean one of those 125 gallon tanks from Tractor Supply, the plastic ones? Only has like a 12" dia hole at the top? IF we cant use galvanized stock tanks etc that are all open on the top, how do you clean the **** things
    We use a 65 gallon from TSC one for our head tank. We use the same brush that we use for the big tank and just slosh the water around. Be forewarned that the bulkhead won't drain the whole tank so you'll have to pick it up and tilt it to get it to drain. For a head tank it's a pain in the *** getting up on a ladder and getting on the platform to do that so I plan on replacing it as soon as financially possible.

Quote Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
    I clean my 425 gallon poly tank through the 12" hole with a sponge mop. I run some water in with the hose, then put a few glugs of unscented chlorox in and use the mop. Then slosh it around and rinse. (you can get most of the water out by tipping the tank upside down and draining out the same 12" hole. Then rinse well.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast