+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dry wall buckets?

Ok. All I have to do laugh at this, So I have buckets from Home Depot, Lowes, local hardware store AND a local BAKERY. Today I was cleaning them all and look at the bottom of them and they are all the same #2 HDPE plastic.So then how is every one of you packaging your syrup(plastic). The Sugarhill (food quality) PLASTIC jugs that everyone uses are #2 HDPE. Look on the bottom of them.
    Last edited by wcproctor; 03-24-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    27 x 66 homemade arch
    10 taps 2008
    200+taps 2012 (180 will be SS)
    5 years and going strong and looking to get bigger

2005 John Deer Gator w/a trailor and 130 tank

www.facebook.com/blackstonevalleysugaring
    http://www.blackstonevalleysugaring.org/

Quote Originally Posted by happy thoughts View Post
    You got it. All the number indicates is what the container is made out of, not whether that container is food grade. Food grade plastic is generally virgin plastic or made from recycled containers that previously held food only.
    The numbers are only for recycling.

Quote Originally Posted by wcproctor View Post
    Ok. All I have to do laugh at this, So I have buckets from Home Depot, Lowes, local hardware store AND a local BAKERY. Today I was cleaning them all and look at the bottom of them and they are all the same #2 HDPE plastic.So then how is every one of you packaging your syrup(plastic). The Sugarhill (food quality) PLASTIC jugs that everyone uses are #2 HDPE. Look on the bottom of them.
    Between laughs, can you tell me how you can tell the difference by just looking at the recycling number?

What was the origin of the material used to make each of them? Was the container made from virgin plastic or made from recycled material that may have held pesticides, toxic cleaners, motor oil or any number of other chemicals most people don't want mixed with their pancakes?

Quote Originally Posted by happy thoughts View Post
    Between laughs, can you tell me how you can tell the difference by just looking at the recycling number?

What was the origin of the material used to make each of them? Was the container made from virgin plastic or made from recycled material that may have held pesticides, toxic cleaners, motor oil or any number of other chemicals most people don't want mixed with their pancakes?
    exactly
    One manufacturer sells only food grade #2's with the exception of their black ones they are not food grade. The non-food grade ones are higher priced in any quantity ordered. So it stands to reason if I ran a drywall compound company I would be buying the white ones instead of the black ones. Sure they were food grade when they hit my recieving dock. But by the time they hit my shipping dock they will never be food grade again. but it doesn't change the recycling number on the bottom.
    now the icing company down the street gets the same buckets and puts icing in them. they are still food grade when the maple addicts descend on their customers looking for good sap buckets....

Quote Originally Posted by backyard sugaring View Post
    I use the 5 gallon jugs you would find in a office water cooler. They are food grade, durable, water tight, and free. Put a tree saver into the tree, cut the tubing, set the jug on the ground and wait for the sap to start flowing.
    this is what I'm doing next year!

Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    this is what I'm doing next year!
    This is how we do it now. Nice thing is on trees with multiple taps you can connect the lines to drain into the same bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by backyard sugaring View Post
    I use the 5 gallon jugs you would find in a office water cooler. They are food grade, durable, water tight, and free. Put a tree saver into the tree, cut the tubing, set the jug on the ground and wait for the sap to start flowing.
    just handle them carefull, on a cold morning they shatter! been there done that!
    11x29 sugarhouse
    2x8 airtight arch homemade with waterloo flue pan, welded syrup pan and parallel flow preheater hood
    250gph cdl ro
    1100+ taps for 2014, approx 1000 of them vac
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crowh...5582993?ref=hl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123