+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End is here

Default The End is here

I don't know whether to be sad or glad, but I have one boil left. I might stretch two, but doubt it. My trees are getting sporadic, my sap cloudy and my wood supply is gone. I'm having to cut a few sticks of wood daily. So I'm shutting down. I am very satisfied with my season. I will end up with 18 gallon of syrup (give or take a little) off a half pint and 50 taps. That's a good season for me. With a lot more available trees on my property I'm considering the jump to bigger....just how do you go to the minister of finance (wife) and acquire more funding? You old timers got any tips?

To all still building fires, good luck and fast boiling. May God keep you and give your abundant sap flows. I have enjoyed and learned much from all of you, thanks.

Any one want to volunteer for a take town and wash day about Wednesday....laughing, didn't think so.

wow 18 gallons on a half pint,never could get mine to biol like that any tips thanks jim

Default every year is different

100 years of maple on this farm an i learn new things every year 1200 taps 180 gallons mostly medium amber some light more sand than i can ever remember i think that was due to the dry summer shut down on the 12th just a few softs in the bush but it does not take much of that to change the flavor 11 more months we get to go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We pulled our taps yesterday. A few were still running clear, but most were dripping dark sap or none at all. We have ended up with 38 gallons from 100 taps. That far exceeds what we thought we would make this season following the serious drought. The sugar content was the highest I have seen (I assume) due to the lush spring when leaves were producing sugar.
    Last edited by newman_maple; 03-13-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

Default outstanding

Quote Originally Posted by newman_maple View Post
    We pulled our taps yesterday. A few were still running clear, but most were dripping dark sap or none at all. We have ended up with 38 gallons from 100 taps. That far exceeds what we thought we would make this season following the serious drought. The sugar content was the highest I have seen (I assume) due to the lush spring when leaves were producing sugar.
    Hey Newman,

What a year you had. Making 38 gallons with 100 taps is great. From your photos you use buckets and bags. I'm very happy for you and your family.

Spud

Thank you Spud... I had surgery in November and was unsure if I could make any and we ended up with our biggest year ever. I was certainly blessed this season.
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

Default sap is changing.

Just about done, sap is just under 2deg. but making very dark syrup. Very good year, we are over 100gal on 400 taps. The sap is full of sugar sand and the filter boot under the extractor was full of cellulose and sand. The worst I have seen in years. Anyone else seeing this? Only pulling 16 pounds at extractor. We had a very big but short run yesterday dumping 5gal every 3min. for about 4hrs. Boiled that today and finished off 13gal. I was hoping to get more dark but forcast looks like only the warm up run left.
    Maple Syrup producer of 40+years
    320 taps on vacuum all hard maple
    3x12 Lapierre evaporator
    South Madison

Quote Originally Posted by sapbrush View Post
    wow 18 gallons on a half pint,never could get mine to biol like that any tips thanks jim
    Jim,

I added an over fire blower and good wood. The blower really made a difference in faster fire to heat up and hotter throughout. It's worth it even on a half pint. I'd say it made a 30% increase in my per hour boil or more, just guessing. When I was ready to shut down I'd turn off the blower to flood the pan and I could see a physical difference in the boil in a minute or less.

To everyone who saw more sand....it drove me nuts this year. I had to filter some batches twice and I've never done that. Finally here at the end I using all my last boils to glaze peanuts, it doesn't matter on them. The up side is I'm selling the peanuts faster than the syrup, LOL.

It's for sure, tomorrow is my last boil. My run today was not so good and several buckets are cloudy. One more fire for some peanut glaze and I'm washing up.

Tomorrow will be my last boil. I've got 80 gallons in the cooler ready to go. I was hoping to get one last run today but it only got to 34 last night. And the sugar sand was really bad for us this year. I had to clean the pan about every 300 gallons of sap. I had the crappiest wood too. I swear some of it must have come from the bottom of the pond! The syrup was really dark too. So it was a frustrating season, but still managed some good robust syrup.
    Dave
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf flat-pan
    Homemade float valve
    100 taps last year, hoping for 125 this year

im seeing lots of sand in my filters too! made first dark of the season this weekend, but did hold it for a couple days to boil for visitors this weekend on the tour. still good flavor though. hope its not over yet want to make some more syrup, plus living this close to lake erie we havent had the warm nights as many of you south of I-90
    Matthew Cross
    Madison, Ohio
    400 taps on vacuum with surge sp-22
    200 buckets
    30 x 10 leader max
    w/ enhanced steam away and Pre-heater

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast