+ Reply to Thread

Thread: connecting two flue pans side by side

Default connecting two flue pans side by side

So next year i need a bigger evaporater. I currently have a 2x6 drop flue. 2X4 flue pan and 2x2 syrup pan. Is it possible to buy another flue pan, set it next to my current flue pan and pipe it into my current flue pan if i built a bigger arch? Of course i would have to buy a bigger syrup pan, say a 2x4 and pipe from the second flue pan into it. So basically i want to make my arch wider. It would be a 4x6. Is this at all possible? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Generally, evaporators are much longer than they are wide, so 4x6 would be bucking this trend. You could consider buying another 2x4 raised flue pan and extending the arch an additional 4 feet for a 2x10'. You would probably have to use a larger diameter and taller stack to get more fire toward the back.

I think your syrup pan would be fine unless you are boiling RO concentrate.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

There was a producer in my town that had two evaporators side by side. The arches and pans were older. One arch was higher than the other one and was just a flue pan with a hood. It was then connected to the float box of the second arch with a traditional setup. I think the arches were 3 or 4x10's. He has since replaced this with an RO and a 3x10 (he has about 4,000 taps).
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Another consideration is that by turning your current drop flue pan your flues would now be crosswise to the flow of heat. I do not know how that would work out, I am sure not very efficiently.

The problem with putting the 2x4 flue pans side by side to make a 4x6 is the flue boxes would interfere and you would have too large of a gap between the pans and you would be using A LOT more wood, even if you turned the flue pans sideways, there would still be a large gap and use a lot more wood than your current 2x6. The best bet, like Perry said, to extend your current arch and maybe extend the firebox as well to make it a 2x10, it would use the same amount of wood as your 2x6 but increase your evaporation rate to about 50 gph or maybe more with forced air which I would recommend for an arch that long and narrow. Or you could sell your current flue pan and by the Leader Max flue pan, or the Sunrise evaporator flue pan, they both have flues that are double the depth of a normal flue pan giving you much more surface area; or you could consider a steamaway/piggyback, or a simple preheater hood if your just looking to increase evaporation rate without breaking the bank or buying a whole new unit. Best of luck.
    2,000+ taps and growing
    3'x12' Vortex, MAX flue, and steamaway
    24'x48' timber frame sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by mt87 View Post
    Of course i would have to buy a bigger syrup pan, say a 2x4...
    So you need a new wider syrup pan to go with that flue pan, and widening your arch? You're essentially getting a second evaporator.
    A better option might be to sell your current setup and upgrade to a larger evaporator, or just get a piggyback for your flue pan? Another option (which may be the most cost effective) is to keep your current setup, and add an RO.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have awhile to think about it before next season. Ill figure out the best option.

+ Reply to Thread