+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sizing lines

Default Sizing lines

How many taps can I put on 5/16" lines with 8% slope and how many taps would be acceptable in 1/2 " main line with 8% slope? I am actually on a 25' drop over 300 feet.

With that drop on gravity fed lines you could have 15 or maybe even 20 taps on laterals (5/16), and run them up the face of the hill keeping them as steep as possible. But the main should not be run steep, try about 3-5%. Over 5% tends to create turbulance in the line and is not as good. A 1/2" main might be good for 60-75 taps. Consider 3/4", slightly more costly but lots more choices in fittings to connect laterals to it and now you can go 250 taps (if you add vacuum) or about 350 and stay gravity.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I would rather use a larger line but I had nearly 2000' of 1/2" mainline given to me with fittings and all, so for this year I will use it as a main line and run it as a latteral next year.

+ Reply to Thread