+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: How are they running?

13 3/4 Gallons of syrup today, vac still pulling 18", sap @ 2.5% maybe enough wood for 1 more boil
    300 on vac, 800 on gravity

Well the 2nd part of the season has started, Looks to be 3 days and big sweet runs. Started collecting yesterday and we got in 200+ gallons of sap. Head tank is full again and enough wood for a couple of boils at least. New start today the saphauler is going to run the evap for the rest of the season. His dad has scwered up his shoulder preaty good and will be un able to laod wood or pick things up. All will be fine in time. It's high time he puts to use all the learning he has done. Good news is we have 10 gallons of syrup in the head tank in sap. 70 here we come.
    Last edited by TapME; 04-11-2011 at 07:21 PM.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

i threw in the towl this afternoon. i ended up dumping 325 gal of sap on friday that dident make through the warm spell. just about put a tear in my eye dumping all that hard work on the ground. even the sap in my preheater spoiled. i pulled my pipeline and the other small pipeline friday night as well and got 100 gal of good looking sap. ripped through that today and have the finisher going right now. i will end up with @ 26 or 28. not sure yet. but i have HUGE plans for the summer. new 3x8, relocating the sugar house, adding another 8x20 onto the sugar house. pretty much going to the next level. i hope anyway
    24x56 heavy timber post and beam sugar house. 2013 CDL 2.5x8 deluxe airtight raised flue 750 taps on vacuum. CDL reverse osmosis, Wes Fab 7" full bank press. Eastern Maine CDL sales rep.

I pulled the very last of the taps today. They were still dripping at 60 degrees, but we ran out of wood a week ago. We are still finishing up the near syrup from the front pan, but I poured vinegar and water into the evap. I'm leaving it for a couple of weeks and then I'll clean the pans. We got to around 36 gallons, and probably could have made 40.

All in all a great year!
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

Picked up another 400 gallons sap this afternoon. Gravity appears to be done but vacuum is still going, a bit slow but still running. 6 more gallons will fill the drum I'm working on now.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Default Hit the wall

I was all set to keep going to the end. Boiled a little on Friday, took Saturday off hoping the super warm weather would pump the sap out, but there wasn't much in the pails. Yesterday I started boiling late AM & checked the pails after noon. Sap was still running, but there wasn't anything worth keeping going. I pulled all the taps and boiled some cloudy sap. Got 2 more gallons. Could get another quart but my firewood is gone, as is my wife's patience.

Gonna take a day off and then finish the 3 or 4 gallons of near-syrup I've got. Then I can tally up what I ended up with out of my 560 gallons worth of sap from 16 trees.
    Claddagh Farms
    Union, Maine
    -----------------
    New Farm, New Trees
    25 Taps & searching for more trees & more sap
    Leader Half-Pint
    2011--2013 Open Shed / 13 gallons per year
    2014 Tent in a field by the firewood pile
    -------------------

Picked up almost 300 galloms tonight. Shut down the vacuum pump. Looks like I maybe done. Got up to 70 here late afternoon. Weather does not look good for sap for few days. Trees are really making progress with buds. Bees are busy bringing in pollen from several sources. Peepers are driving me insane!
    Mark
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

done! picked up buckets yesterday and placed them away. Pulled line taps and just have the evap to take care of. Will boil the rest and can it up. Final totals to come later but close to 70 gallons. Good sapping to those who are still in the game. Go RoyalMaple. Waht a good season it was here.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516