+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How are they running?

Default How are they running?

I was surprised to see a little sap in the tank today. It seemed too cold, but the trees want to run! There was ice all over the trees, all over the lines and it was only around 30 degrees in the shade up on the hill, but they ran a bit.

We may even have enough to boil this weekend! Or maybe sooner.

How are they running where you are at? This thread is for anyone in Maine to post how their trees are running in different parts of the state. If you want you can include what altitude you are at, what county and which way your sugarbush faces.

Ours is at around 500 feet and faces north. It's like Jackman up there, but it's in southern Somerset County.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf
    Illegitimati non carborundum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISbkO-NKA9o

yeah Revi same here. picked up a litttle down on my river buckets today and the taps in the woods over in newburgh were drippin today as well. everything was froze about 80% in the pails tho. we should have enough for a small blaze this weekend. going to check the ones in lexington tomorrow. i will let you know
    150 buckets
    75 on tubing for 2011
    homemade evaporater @ 20+/gph
    2 boys getting "woods wise"
    1 wife getting "maple wise"
    still enjoying every minute of it

I'll bet those trees in Lexington have started as well. A guy who lives up in Brighton said that his trees were running today and they must be at a similar elevation to yours Sapsick.

Happy sapping!
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf

I got 200 gallons of water today. And yesterday. The soft maples are starting to bud here now. In town they started 2 weeks ago. i am 700 feet above town. And in the mountains they still have a lot of time before the season is over.
    3X10 Lappiere Cross Flow Raised Flue
    Lappiere 250 Turbo RO
    800 ish taps??? for 2015
    rossellsmaple.com

MAY THE SAP BE WITH YOU

That's a lot of sap for 150 trees! The vacuum must be working. We only got around 30 gallons, but I was amazed that we even got that. When I went up to check the temperature was only about 30 degrees. It must have been warmer earlier in the day. Our trees run late anyway. We have a run in the afternoon, once it's warmed up a little.
    325 taps
    2x6 Phaneuf

Default sugar is low here too

havnt boild yet still 2 feet of snow pulled 400 gal off 1.1 % danm not looking good for sweet sap this year here its getting late for me last year on 3/6 i had made 70 gal of fance and gathered 8920 gal of sap
    4x14 leader inferno, steamaway
    D&G 600 gal RO
    D&G 7"filter press
    1021 on vac coming the sugarhouse
    3 new vac houses
    1600 taps with a 3hp tuthill & a 6000 gills benard releaser
    800 taps with a 200e sap puller
    275 taps with a 100e sap puller
    Room to grow in all 3 of those bushes

2013 the 800 is now 1200

Ran here early Sunday morning to late Sunday night. About a gallon per tap (with vacuum). Low sugar (2.1 birix - i'm used to 2.4 or so). Trickled a little on mon, nothing tues. Trees still have about 1/4" of ice on them. 9 gallons of medium amber so far. Elevation is 700-775', orchard faces ENE.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

Started early sat. We managed to get a few buckets out on tubing before it started raining. Hit the grove again Sunday before the rain,first tap to the last,the sap was running strong. Monday, Monday night into Tues. late afternoon no power, so I had to deal with that after work! Tapped 18 more last night after the power was restored, again each hole was running strong. Hope to get 150 gal.+ by the weekend so we can get our first boil. Best of Luck to all!
    Three Generation Operation
    18' x 40' sugar-shack
    3' x 12' oil fired Small Brothers Raised flue
    10" full bank filter press
    1,700 on Vacuum
    500 gravity.
    Custom RO

One great family!!!!

ran good yesterday, steady stream out of the pipe line. collected about thirty gal. total............. i just got a row of 90 year old trees on a road side. 14 total. the should produce good........i hope
    24x56 heavy timber post and beam sugar house. 2013 CDL 2.5x8 deluxe airtight raised flue 750 taps on vacuum. CDL reverse osmosis, Wes Fab 7" full bank press. Eastern Maine CDL sales rep.

My wife and I finished getting the buckets hung on Saturday. I have 48 on tubing and 90 buckets. As of Tuesday night I collected about 80 gal. Sugar content ranges from 2.5 to 1.5. everything faces east. I will be boiling Friday. It will be the first time on an evaporator.
    Maple Ridge Sugar House
    230 taps for 2016
    12 X 16 Sugar House.
    20 X 66 CDL Evaperator.
    A good Wife that enjoys collecting and working in the sugar house.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast