+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Ready for Tapping

Default Getting Ready for Tapping

Well, we have only 10 months to get ready for the next season. I'm already checking out more trees and figuring how to get the sap, either lines or bags. This next season will be bigger and better.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

hey david, i'm ready just in case we have a second season. the syrup i made was dark amber. i believe it would have been lighter but i had no choice but to ice down the sap for several days. the red maple buds have opened but the sugars haven't yet. march in ky might bring another week of snowy nights and warm days. it may not. i am trying to get my stainless steel cut and ready to take to the trade school to see if they will weld it into a 2'x4' pan. if we do get the weather, the bud's don't open and i get the pan made, i'll tap some more to add to the to the one's still tapped. i don't think the sap opra is over 'cause i don't hear the fat lady, they are just frog's. nace

Nace
    If they give out a string of bad weather, Ill slap my taps back in and give it a shot. What little I made won't last long around here. I told my wife the other night to get ready and call 911 cause I couldn't stand it any longer. Even though I am hypoglysemic (low blood sugar), I was bound and determined to make some pancakes and try the syrup since I had not ever had real maple syrup on pancakes. So I made the pancakes after we got in from church Sunday night and we both sat down and had some. Boy was it great, it had been years since I had any pancakes, I can't wait for the next batch.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

david , check out STEVIA. it is a plant and i grow some each year. it's 300 times sweeter than sugar and does not hurt your blood sugar. in fact, i looked on web MD and the side effects/warnings were , that it lowers your blood sugar and if you take meds to lower it it might be too much so you can't do both. for my money i will not do med's anyway. all natural remedies as much as possible! thank the LORD for HE has given every green herb for healing. for any naysayers who say that not every green herb is good for you , try it this way...( my paraphrase ) for what ever healing you need i have given a green herb for that. nace

david, after i re-read your post i see i mistook hypo and hyper...sorry. i guess it's because i went to bullitt co. schools nace

Afretired,
    There is only two seasons, Maple Season and getting ready for Maple Season

Mark 220 maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

+ Reply to Thread