+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vacuum gauges on boosters?

Default vacuum gauges on boosters?

I have a 2,000 tap woods that I converted over to a wet/dry line system last year. I have approximately 25-30 vacuum boosters where the 3/4 mailines come into the wet dry dry line. The 3/4 lines are all valved so that they can be shut down for washing and vacuum leak detection, but I don have vacuum gauges installed on them. What I was thinking of doing was installing a mainline saddle entrance near the valve, add 2-3 feet of tubing and placing a stubby adapter on the end. Plug stubby with a "T". Do this at each valved vacuum booster. Then take a vacuum gauge and adapt it to fit a throw away spout adapter. When checking for vacuum leaks, just pull out your retrofitted vacuum gauge and place it on the stubby by the valve. Let the system equalize it self, close the valve and watch your gauge. Does this seem like a plausible option, rather than installing 25-30 gauges throught out thte woods? Or does somebody have a different idea?
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Lew Thats a great Idea and I tried on the web to find a company that sells quick connects for vacuum. I say that because they have them for pressure and mainly steam heat. Its a little port that is 1/8 NPT and as you walk the system you push the guage into the quick port and get a reading and then move on. Now Vacuum was a different deal Couldn't find one. I have some valves that are made for testing Anti siphon devices. They are 1/8 or 1/4 thread. They have a screw driver slot on them and you could drill small hole and just thread into the side of the vacuum tank/booster. You would screw into female end of valve and open valve

Lew---I personally like guages at the valves. I know it's expensive to put them in, but I feel that it is well worth the investment. I know of guys that just shut the valve off and listen for air rushing when they turn the valve back on. My hearing isn't good enough to pull this off, too many years of running printing presses! Try looking on line for a quantity of guages...
    2 1/2 x8 Lapierre Waterloo-Small (oil fired)
    Leader Steamaway
    1200 gph Lapierre RO
    1800 taps
    http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ks/Sugarhouse/

Mike Christian
    505 Main St. Orwell, Vt.

I put the gauges on each lateral mainline.Got them from MSC for I think $6-8.Best to put a 1/4" ,1/4 turn valve under them,they don't like pressure when you wash and they can't freeze.Just open valve to check.

I was selling gauges last year for $4. I'm not making money on them. Just trying to pass a good deal on. I could probably get more.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    Lew Thats a great Idea and I tried on the web to find a company that sells quick connects for vacuum. I say that because they have them for pressure and mainly steam heat. Its a little port that is 1/8 NPT and as you walk the system you push the guage into the quick port and get a reading and then move on. Now Vacuum was a different deal Couldn't find one. I have some valves that are made for testing Anti siphon devices. They are 1/8 or 1/4 thread. They have a screw driver slot on them and you could drill small hole and just thread into the side of the vacuum tank/booster. You would screw into female end of valve and open valve
    IPL makes a 5/16 quick disconect for .44. I use a couple of them between the saddle and slide fitting so I can take down lateral line to get the tracor through. It has worked out very well.
    IPQD.jpg
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

4$ a piece sounds reasonable, but what about valves before them so that pressure washing doesn't affect them. I do like the idea of a permanently installed gauge, much less hassles. Do any of you have know of a CHEAP source of a GOOD valve? This option (permanent installation) may be put on the table again.
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

that will not work. You need to have the gauge at the end of the line. Valve checking only finds the big leaks. with a gauge at the end it will tell you if you have a small leak. What I like to do is a have a trail around the woods with the gauges positioned so you can see them from your motorized device. I see one that says 26 I know I have a leak. And if you have to come in from the trunk line. you can just skip down the ends and look at the gauge until it reads low and then walk that one.
    15,000 taps, Milk 100 cows, H2o innovation dealer

big john,

What difference does it make which end of the mainline the gauge is on IF you close the valve and wait to see if it drops off quickly? If you are not closing valves, I can see wanting the gauges as the far end of the lines. In my woods, it is not easily acessible with a motorized vehicle to check the ends, so I have to walk, and walking the center of the woods is by far easier.
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

with the gauge near the air pipe it will give you a false reading. when you shut the valve the vac rushes out of the leak. and when you turn it back on it pulls air back through the leak. Valve checking only finds the leaks that are large enough for the air to escape through quickly. Like a tap pulled out! but a squirrl bit in the drop that is intermittent( because it made ice,or there is a good run] will not show up on the valve,but it is a loss!! and those kinds of leaks can be very costly in the end. I don't really care for valve checking after I get the vac up to 25. everytime you open and close the valve the sap goes in reverse right back into your tap hole.. thus a vac gauge at the end will tell you if you are missing a 1/4 hg in that line. We shoot for 27.5 HG in our system.
    15,000 taps, Milk 100 cows, H2o innovation dealer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast