+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it Over?

Default Is it Over?

Well, we have had some fairly warm weather for the last couple of weeks (60s). Tuesday Night it got down to 26 and Wednesday it was up to 50, and the sap started flowing again. I got 260 gallons and started cooking. It only made a few gallons and was dark and had an off flavor. Was it metabolism? Now what to do with it? Also, it has been warm ever since with no hope for freezing weather. So I guess for mid KY it is over . Time to start thinking about sorghum.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

over all ready? we have not tapped yet. When do you guys first tap down in kentucky? Do you have a short season? Does it even snow that far south? The area we tap gets over 200"s of snow per year. Once it starts to snow around thanksgiving we rarely see the grass till mid march.
    Last edited by skillet; 02-26-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Yes, I really believe it is. The sap was running mid Jan up through the middle of this month. Now we don't get the kind of snow you get but we do get snow. One thing about Ky, if you don't like the weather just wait around a day or so, because it will change.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    youtube videos

yikes, hasent even started a drop here yet!
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

wow over all already huh? my main line is suspended about 5FT off the ground and i have no idea where it is lol..... my branch lines have sap in them and my barrel has some sap in it, but we need to lose some snow here bad before anything starts running to hard around my place. pretty crazy you guys start so early. hope you had a good year.
    Last edited by boondocker; 02-27-2011 at 07:39 AM.
    24x56 heavy timber post and beam sugar house. 2013 CDL 2.5x8 deluxe airtight raised flue 750 taps on vacuum. CDL reverse osmosis, Wes Fab 7" full bank press. Eastern Maine CDL sales rep.

afretired,
    Don't throw that off favor syrup away, the Amish that make syrup I believe in Hopkinsville, Ky. had made over 200 gallons very early and was planning on bringing it to H. Brenneman in Someset County Pa. I would try to track them down and send it along, some money is better than no money. It will be grade C and bring the lowest price per pound maybe somewhere in the $1.75 range. maybe more maybe less? 11 pounds to the gallon, you due the math. 5 gallon times 11 = 55 pounds times 2 dollars for example 110 dollars, two rolls of tubing?

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

I just thought I'd mention that Kentucky is still at 0 in our Tap Count Poll here on Maple Trader. See the first "sticky" in The Sugar Inn forum.

- Bryan

well i'm hoping for freezing tonight for one more sap run. forecast for low 30's. same as last weeks forecast of low 30's, got to mid 20's and a nice little run. but after tonight, i'm pulling my taps. nace

Nace
    I cooked after the last little run last week and it had an off flavor. I'm not going to waist the energy to try again. Yesterday I went down to Auburn to Federal Grove and talked with Lee Blythe. He was having about the same luck as I was having, his last cooking was "off" also. I hope you have better luck.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    youtube videos

Yes it is done. I made 95 Gal for the year I missed what I wanted by 5 gal. Sure wanted to see 100 gal but there is always next year. Like you now I am looking forward to sorghum can’t wait till time to plant. I am going to put an acre in the ground down in the bottoms may put some on the hill but last year lost all of it due to the dry weather. This weekend I will go out and start pulling all my taps flushing out my lines sealing them off until the next year. I collected my first sap Jan 4 and started cooking Jan 8 had 1500 gal in my tank when I started and made some real light syrup. Made me smile. Collected a total of 5244 gallons of sap my sugar content was down this year compared to last. Not sure why but my kids, wife and I and a few friends had a great time with the Maple this year. It still amazes me with the amount of sap that can come out of a tree and it not just rot due to the amount of moisture in the wood. So very cool! I hope everyone has a good Maple season.
    Tim & Kelli Wagoner
    T&K Farms
    www.tk-farms.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast