+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it Over?

Tim I would say where you are yes. I'm about a week away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagoner View Post
    Yes it is done. I made 95 Gal for the year I missed what I wanted by 5 gal. Sure wanted to see 100 gal but there is always next year. Like you now I am looking forward to sorghum can’t wait till time to plant. I am going to put an acre in the ground down in the bottoms may put some on the hill but last year lost all of it due to the dry weather. This weekend I will go out and start pulling all my taps flushing out my lines sealing them off until the next year. I collected my first sap Jan 4 and started cooking Jan 8 had 1500 gal in my tank when I started and made some real light syrup. Made me smile. Collected a total of 5244 gallons of sap my sugar content was down this year compared to last. Not sure why but my kids, wife and I and a few friends had a great time with the Maple this year. It still amazes me with the amount of sap that can come out of a tree and it not just rot due to the amount of moisture in the wood. So very cool! I hope everyone has a good Maple season.
    Tim & Kelli Wagoner
    T&K Farms
    www.tk-farms.com
    lol water does not rot wood, The combination of water and o2 rot wood.

Default Very nice set-up

Quote Originally Posted by afretired View Post
    Yes, I really believe it is. The sap was running mid Jan up through the middle of this month. Now we don't get the kind of snow you get but we do get snow. One thing about Ky, if you don't like the weather just wait around a day or so, because it will change.

David
    David,

Just looked at all your photos. What a nice set-up you and your family have. It's all about the family my friend. Enjoy everyday and have a great season.

Mike

hello david: we went to the grove on saturday afternoon. saturday morning was the second day of a maple workshop with the butler co. ag extention, so we had two days of travel. i was going to boil sunday after church but had to run to louisville because my mom was sick( better now) so i iced down 30 gal. of sap in 5 gal buckets in an old chest freezer which i am glad i hadn't hauled off yet. still didn't boil till last night and so far it's good. 10 gal to near syrup in 8 hr's on my turkey fryer & roasting pan (after modifications) pouring off after each 5 gal. look's to be med amber but may get a little darker when i finish. i'm thinking it's lighter than your last batch because i did't tap till feb 21. i did have to dump the first 2 1/2 gal i had collected but the rest seems alright so far but i know i have to boil it quick which is hard to do at 1:15 min a gallon boil rate. have a great day...nace

Nace
    I hope your mom is doing good. I've got most of my taps pulled and the lines removed. I thought about leaving them up but between the deer, cows, and falling limbs/trees I don't think there would be anything worth salvaging come next year. I hope your syrup turns out. My son has been cooking on a turkey fryer for the past two weeks in Morganfield. I think he is about fed up with the slow rate of boiling. He is cooking in the evenings after work and he gets three evenings on a 20lb bottle of propane. I believe we are going to have to build him a small wood fired evaporator for next year.

David
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12